Talk

Advanced search

Really not liking new job, need advice

(15 Posts)
Madethewrongchoice Fri 14-Apr-17 10:45:50

I started a new job 8 weeks ago and now I feel like I've made the wrong decision.
I was promised training and progression, a great package
But it's just been sink or swim and I feel like I'm sinking, I've barely had any training I feel like I'm always annoying someone or in the way.
I'm supposed to do online training but it's taken 8 weeks to just get me logged onto the computer system I'm so far behind
I've been underpaid by £100 and my boss is so busy I can't ask about it as he says he will deal with it later
I rang the hr department but they say my manager needs to sort it out
It's just a mess, I'm holding back the tears at work, it's too late to go back to my old job and I need to work
I haven't really clicked with anyone and find most people there difficult to talk to.
What would you do?

antsinpants Fri 14-Apr-17 10:56:04

If you're certain you can get another job in your sector without too much trouble, I would go. I've just left a job that I had serious doubts about but ignored my gut instinct.

Madethewrongchoice Fri 14-Apr-17 10:59:33

I'm not sure it will be easy to find another job, it took me ages of looking to find this one, and it turned out bad
Maybe I should speak to my boss, I don't know, I feel like I'm being a pain but I'm so unhappy

PuffinNose Sun 16-Apr-17 00:01:59

Hi.
I'm not trying to dismiss how you are feeling but this is a new job and 2 months isn't long enough I don't think to make your mind up.
Payroll errors are unfortunately very common for new starters. If you need it fixing immediately, tell your boss.
Similarly, IT systems can be a nightmare.
Do you have any 1:1s with your boss scheduled? If not, book some. Write a list and have an honest conversation of what is working well and what needs development. Drag out the job description is necessary and tell them what you were expecting.
If it's a new role you've moved into, the organisation may not be quite sure what it actually wants either but that's a great opportunity for you to mould it.
If you think you are sinking then your boss needs to know. If he agrees then you can create an action plan together to sort it. If he thinks you are doing fine then it will do your confidence the world of good to hear it.
X

caroldecker Sun 16-Apr-17 00:38:21

As a boss, I rarely have time to proactively search out employees concerns, or know they are underpaid. If raised with me, I would raise merry hell with payroll to get it sorted.
I expect staff to book 1-1's with me and air issues, rather than me do the organising.

daisychain01 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:22:25

I agree with pp's, you need to take the lead.

Try to separate how you feel from individual issues. Perhaps you are currently feeling a bit "out of control" ( new job, payroll issue, IT not working)

Address each separate issue in turn, regain control and you'll probably see the role in a new light. Show your manager you can use your initiative (to caroldecker's point)

Mermaidinthesea123 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:35:10

I find the first few months in a new job are always horrible. One in particular I recall started off just the same as yours and I hated every second for some months, however when I finally got into it it turned out to be the best job I ever had. So there is hope. Be proactive and cheerfully approach your boss about your concerns.
There was only one job I couldn't stick, I took a job in a credit card centre as a stop gap as I'd been made redundant. First day went into a meeting about a new card they had designed to trap people on low incomes into debt. I walked immediately after the meeting and rang them when I got home to say I'm not working for a company with no scruples.

Madethewrongchoice Sun 16-Apr-17 16:26:32

Yes you are all right, I need to give it another chance
I'm prepared to go in on my day off to catch up on the IT side of training
And I'll ask my boss if I can have a word when he has time to sit down and just go over my worries and the pay problem
I think I just had a bad day and freaked out that I had done the wrong thing, at my old job I was the best, at my new job I'm the worst! I'm just not used to that feeling
It will get better I'm going to try really hard to make it work, thanks everyone smile

JeanSeberg Sun 16-Apr-17 23:52:53

Hi Made, is this (a) a new position (b) replacing someone who left or (c) a new member in an existing team? How senior are you in the organisation?

Cerealnamechanges Mon 17-Apr-17 12:28:54

I'm replacing someone who retired, the last new person before me was nearly 3 years ago so they all know the job inside out where as this is a completely new role for me I've never worked or had any experience in this area
I'm on the lowest rung of the ladder

Cerealnamechanges Mon 17-Apr-17 12:29:15

Sorry forgot I had changed my name!!

JeanSeberg Mon 17-Apr-17 13:29:59

Is there someone in your team you could approach for support if you had a list of specific questions (top 3)?

Obsidian77 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:34:48

You might feel better about the people there if you have the work issues under control. daisychain's point is good, draw up a list of the major issues and decide how you're going to address them.
I do wonder what it says about the company's culture though if a new hire is so unhappy and nobody even notices or cares that she is unable to work productively.

OlafLovesAnna Mon 17-Apr-17 20:31:13

I'm just about to leave a relatively new job, I've been there 6 months and similarly to you I was promised training and career advancement opportunities that I can see are never going to materialise.

I like my colleagues and they are a kind and supportive bunch but most have been there for 10+ years and have got used to 'quirks' of the department and management that I am just not willing to live with. I've got 8 weeks notice to do for a pretty junior role but I just want it to be over. I'll be positive when leaving as the culture of the department isn't going to change and I don't want to leave on a sour note but I'm miserable and it really can't be over quickly enough.

Evvy543 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:28:16

I posted pretty much the same post a couple of days ago!

Hate my new job xxxx
How u feeling?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now