Talk

Advanced search

Same job but different title within one team?

(4 Posts)
Orroco Wed 12-Apr-17 11:59:03

I'm trying deliberately to be a bit vague with this one so as not to be outed.

We have a team of mixed experience levels and therefore mixed pay levels based on this, even though we all do the same job. Fine, it is what it is.

The structure now is

Head of
Managers
Executives

But we've just been told that to replace 2 executives (both on temp secondment) they will be hiring two 'managers' but that they will be doing the same job role as the executives... they just want to call them managers to try and attract people with more experience to the roles.

Is this allowed? Can there be 6 people doing the exact same role (Albeit paid differently based on their experience) but with two of them having a different job title? None of the 6 will have direct reports if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your help. It doesn't sit right with me but just wondering if it's actually allowed!

flowery Wed 12-Apr-17 17:46:56

There are no rules about what job titles an employer must or must not use, so it's 'allowed', yes.

Doesn't seem very sensible, as it seems likely to irritate current executives and current managers, who presumably do actual 'manage'. But it's certainly 'allowed'.

Do the executives report into managers currently and will the new managers report into the same level?

Orroco Wed 12-Apr-17 18:06:54

Thanks for your reply flowery, I really appreciate it.

Yes the executives report into the managers at present, and the new 'managers' will then report in to the existing managers... despite having the same job title. I can't possibly see how this will work in reality, and yes, I imagine this is irritating all current team members!

grumpysquash3 Thu 13-Apr-17 22:17:34

In my sector, Executives are the highest level (CEO, CSO, CFO), they are the ones with the big salaries and bonuses, then VPs, then Directors, then Head of, then Managers.

So really, what's in a name, even if it's a bit confusing? As long as everyone is clear about who reports to who.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now