Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Anyone have any inspiring stories about applying and getting a job you think you have no chance of?

(4 Posts)
Conniedescending Sun 09-Apr-17 08:22:27

Just that really. Am looking at next career move - have been stuck on various secondments at level above my permanent post for 3 years but no permanent roles at this grade have come up and in 6 months am facing going back down unless another secondment comes up and I again have to apply for them

However, a permanent post the grade above my seconded one has come up in a different field - aligned and I do have experience in that area but my immediate reaction was I couldn't go for it as not in a current permanent. However - have been doing the role grade below.

I know I could do the job but don't want my application to be laughed at!

Gizlotsmum Sun 09-Apr-17 08:23:30

You have nothing to lose by applying. Make sure you sell your self and who knows

fluffygreenmonsterhoody Sun 09-Apr-17 08:26:36

Go for it. If nothing else you may get an interview which would be a good chance to learn more about that area and what's expected to work in it.

And experience of interviewing at a higher level.

Asmoto Sun 09-Apr-17 08:30:57

Your application isn't going to be laughed at. You have relevant experience and you've been performing day-to-day at the level immediately beIow for three years - that's more than enough to make it a serious application. You could probably benefit from a confidence boost - is there anyone who could mentor you through the application process?

mumsnet jobs

Jobs you might like

View all jobs »

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now