Talk

Advanced search

Applying for big promotion in early pregnancy?

(7 Posts)
user1471547428 Thu 06-Apr-17 12:39:32

Hi, the background is that I've worked at this company for around 10 years, including one mat leave. It's a good place and they've been helpful with work/family stuff.

I'm now 6 weeks pregnant with my second child and am being encouraged to apply for a big promotion to Director level. More money and status, fills gaps in my skillset, lots more responsibility and management of a big team.

Obviously I'm reluctant to 'lean out' and not apply. But, I don't see how I can apply knowing I'd be doing it for three months and then go off on leave. It's a stressful job and the team needs someone who is committed and who will be around.

Should I tell the relevant people? Should I apply and tell them afterwards?
Advice very gratefully received. Thank you.

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 06-Apr-17 12:40:38

I would just apply. If they offer it you you can disclose it then if you feel you want to, though you are under no obligation to!

flowery Thu 06-Apr-17 14:14:17

The only reason to tell anyone now (or at any time before you get offered the job, if you do), is if you think it should be taken into account in deciding whether to offer you the role or not.

Assuming you agree with the legal position which is that it would be unlawful to take that into account in deciding, then there is no reason to tell them. In fact it would be unhelpful to tell them. You would be placing a huge burden on them by giving this piece of information which affects things but which they cannot take into consideration.

Far better (for them and for you) that they make a decision about you and your future at the company based on actual relevant merit-based factors.

Why would you only be around 3 months? 6, surely? Unless the role doesn't start for a while.

user1471547428 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:17:18

That's a good point that it's puts them in a tricky position. The current person won't leave for a few more months which is why it's only a few before I'd leave.
I see the legal position but it also seems somewhat unethical of me not to mention it. I do generally prefer to be honest about things. But then of course something could go wrong with this pregnancy anyway as it's so early.

flowery Thu 06-Apr-17 15:55:46

Genuinely it would not be helpful to tell them. It's good you have an instinct to be honest, and that you acknowledge that it would be massively inconvenient for them. But they cannot take it into account, so if you tell them either:
-they'll discriminate and not offer you the role
-they'll not offer you the role for other reasons but you won't know whether your pregnancy was a factor
-they'll offer you the job on merit, or
-they'll offer you the job because you're pregnant and they're scared of a legal case and will resent you for it.

It's early days, as you say, and presumably like most people you wouldn't be planning to tell work until you're past 12 weeks anyway. Stick to that. You've worked there 10 years, and will probably work there for a few more. 6-12 months maternity leave in the scheme of things isn't that long, don't pass this opportunity up (which may not come up again) because of that.

daisychain01 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:25:16

If you feel in an ethical dilemma, just remember men never have that burden. They just go ahead and apply for jobs and nothing stands in their way.

Use the benefits and protection of employment law to your advantage, it's there to level the playing field. Choose your timing to suit your needs, for your career and your family. Hope it all goes well.

maggiethemagpie Fri 07-Apr-17 16:33:03

Someone where I work applied for a promotion when she was pregnant ( no one knew) and got the job. It wasn't an issue - yes, she went on mat leave which was covered, she then came back and did the job and is still doing it now a few years on.

So, so long as you are planning on returning to the role I don't think it matters whether you go on mat leave a few months or a few years into taking the job -they'd have to cover you in any case.

Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now