Talk

Advanced search

Resigning from work early pregnancy

(10 Posts)
Alixjade2017 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:23:22

I am currently 7weeks pregnant and really poorly with morning sickness etc, so I have been signed off for this would be my third week, my partner and family like in Nottingham where as I moved down south too live and work at a very busy hotel as a chef,
My job is very stressful and very demanding and is also contributing too how tired and sick I'm getting,
the plan was too stay and work down there till my maternity leave but with the time I've been having off and how I've been it's getting harder too want too stay down there,
Does anyone know or been through similar of resigning so early into pregnancy and know what you can do or what will happen?!

LurkingQuietly Tue 04-Apr-17 18:37:45

Depends what you mean. You are well within your rights to resign, yes. How will you support yourself? You should check on the gov website to see if you will be entitled to maternity allowance.

flowery Tue 04-Apr-17 19:46:26

Not sure what you mean by "what will happen". The same will happen as if you resigned without being pregnant- you'll work your notice and then leave.

Alixjade2017 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:50:48

Meaning support wise etc like am I still entitled too anything maternity allowance or maternity leave etc

Flowerydems Tue 04-Apr-17 19:55:56

I think you need to be working up to 20 something weeks to be entitled, until you get your further scans and your matb1 I'm not sure you'd be entitled to anything. Sorry, I've felt like that before

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 04-Apr-17 19:59:02

You can resign as normal if you want to.

Does your employer offer enhanced pay? If so I'd check your contract with that.
For statutory pay its all set out here www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/resigning-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/ but usually you'd need to work the qualifying weeks. Or if you quit you might be entitled to maternity allowance but check first.

You also should be having a risk assessment and if you can't carry out your duties during the sickness phase they can find you something else to do. Reasonable adjustments can be made.

maggiethemagpie Tue 04-Apr-17 20:04:44

In your shoes I'd go off sick OP, but remain employed, you will then accrue holiday pay and if you've been employed for long enough before you got pregnant, get the first six weeks of SMP at 90% then the remainder at the standard rate that maternity allowance is paid at.

Your employer would be very foolish to dismiss you for pregnancy related illness. If they did, you could take them to the cleaners.

Buttercupsandaisies Tue 04-Apr-17 20:07:14

I think you need to work til 26 weeks to qualify.

Also, and I don't mean this to upset you, but I'd wait til after 12 weeks before resigning given you're so early at present.

Of course you can resign with no maternity benefits whenever you want

BellyBean Sat 08-Apr-17 17:17:51

Life seems really tough when you're in the throes of morning sickness. If you're too ill to work, stay off on sick. Don't make any rash decisions, you might feel loads better in a few weeks.

LIZS Sat 08-Apr-17 17:23:24

You might meet the criteria to claim Maternity Allowance from the government if you have worked the relevant number of weeks in last 2 years, but nothing from employer, no ml and no job to return to. MA is about £140 pw. For SMP, ml etc you need to be employed at 14 weeks before your edd and have at least 26 weeks service with the same employer, edd being confirmed by your midwife completing a MATB1 form.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now