£12ph
Fixed term contract
Massive international company
40 mins from home
Family friendly
Flexi time
Interesting
Offers qualifications
Scope to move up, sideways, diaganol, anywhere.

Which would you choose and why? Im having a dilemma.

HerOtherHalf Mon 03-Apr-17 16:49:48

B in a heartbeat. More money immediately and opportunities to progress with the only real downsides being the fixed term contract and longer commute. A perm contract does not really offer that much more in the way of job security anyway, at least not until you've got a couple of years under your belt and even then you are still only one bad financial year or reorganization away from the dole queue.

LadyFlumpalot Mon 03-Apr-17 16:54:53

See, that's what I'm leaning towards. I'm only really wavering on the permanent/contract bit.

Job A is the "safe" choice, but even then Job B has a reputation of renewing contracts.

ohidoliketobebesidethecoast Mon 03-Apr-17 16:58:56

Do you have small children? Are you planning to start a family in next couple of years?
If either is true, you may want to weigh against the benefits of job B, the amount of the day lost to travel, and the likelihood of taking unpaid time off for sick child, or maternity leave (if on a short term contract).

LadyFlumpalot Mon 03-Apr-17 17:03:49

I have 2 DC, 6 and 3. Both jobs are school hour friendly. Job A is 9:30 to 3pm and is only 7 minutes from the school and nursery. Job B is flexi time 25 hours a week with core hours being 10-2.

Job A would be the most understanding for a sudden child emergency (they even told me in the interview that children come first every time). However, Job B would be far better for taking time off in school holidays etc.

No plans for further children. No plans at all.

daisychain01 Mon 03-Apr-17 17:51:43

Particularly If B is a global blue chip type company, there's nothing to stop them offering you a permanent role in the fullness of time.

Get your foot in the door of B would be my advice.

40 mins from home isn't far, and that depends how you are calculating the journey. Is it door to door in a car, or using public transport. Is that the quickest time, or in the rush hour etc etc

grumpysquash3 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:44:54

Absolutely job B. There are many more prospects and it is ok on flexibility etc. And more money. Next time you apply for a job, that will be your minimum......aside from that, an interesting job that develops your skills will be far better in the long term.

It would have been a harder question if the lower paying job had the best opportunities, IMO.

Larger company so far, and I'm willing to bet they've also got more benefits? Pension, etc?

DramaAlpaca Mon 03-Apr-17 21:56:10

Job B, definitely.

Also, even though it shouldn't happen, people get really impressed about a big company on your CV.

ohidoliketobebesidethecoast Tue 04-Apr-17 07:21:23

and I'm willing to bet they've also got more benefits? Pension, etc?
Not for contractors though! - OP will need to be taken on as permanent staff to get those.

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Apr-17 07:29:46

Why is B fixed term?
Is it a public sector role that is only ever funded 12 months at a time? Is it likely to be renewed??

Or is it for a temporary situation like a maternity cover or for a particular project?

I'd be inclined to take B and take my chances with permanent work in time to come.

badhotfanny Tue 04-Apr-17 07:37:17

B definitely. You may well want to explore opportunities for profession as the kids get older. And in my experience, family-run businesses don't do so well in the long run.

LadyFlumpalot Tue 04-Apr-17 07:45:11

Thank you all. B is where I am leaning towards, however DH is wary about job B for the short contract point of view.

Job B is not in the public sector, it's a fixed term contract role due to it being a new team with a new project who are drowning in admin so need an administrator. I'm inclined to say they will always need an administrator so once I'm there, if they like me, I'll stay.

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Apr-17 07:52:07

New team.... new opportunities.... go for B.

LadyFlumpalot Tue 04-Apr-17 14:33:01

So I've accepted Job B... thanks all!

daisychain01 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:37:25

Just an aside every employer now has to offer a pension of some description.

But clearly companies keep the best pension for their Permanent staff!

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Apr-17 15:47:50

Good luck Lady. DM says you only regret the things you don't do. Sounds like you would have regretted not taking this job. Sometimes it's a gut feeling as anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now