Talk

Advanced search

Working whilst on maternity pay

(2 Posts)
RaindropsRoses Fri 31-Mar-17 20:49:57

I have a main full time job and start maternity leave in 4 weeks time. I also have a casual job behind a bar doing occasional shifts. Basically they txt me at the beginning of every month with available shifts and I say if I want to do any of them or not. I presume once I go on maternity leave from my main job I won't be able to do any 2nd job shifts? Am I right in thinking it would affect my maternity pay (SMP)? I won't get maternity pay from the 2nd job obviously as it's casual but it's all above board paying tax and NI.

CharlieandLolaCat Mon 03-Apr-17 22:54:05

My understanding is that you can only do this (and not lose your entitlement to SMP from employer no.1) if you were employed by employer no.2 15 weeks before your due date and they're not paying you any SMP.

That said, if you're in receipt of any enhanced maternity pay then it is worth checking your policy as there could be something on working a second job in there that may impact on that.

Worth speaking to your HR department about it though if you have one so you're all clear. If they say you can't do it though, I would push back - I was asked this question a couple of years ago and took the view that the person couldn't without actually checking my facts. blush That said, if they persist just ask them to show you where it says that and go from there as my info may be out of date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now