Talk

Advanced search

Mediation

(5 Posts)
TiredNick Thu 30-Mar-17 21:24:26

Hi, has anyone been through the mediation process at work with manager and team member? Don't want to give lots of details, but wondering if it's worth doing or a waste of time.

I am the team member by the way, thanks for any comments.

daisychain01 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:31:39

Do you mean, mediation with a view to resolving a problem/grievance, if so, yes I have experience.

As regards whether it is worth it, it's difficult to give a binary Y/N answer without knowing the 'bare bones' of the circumstances. I'd say there is a higher likelihood of successful outcomes if

1. Everyone 'plays nicely' i.e. It is run fairly according to company policy
2. All those involved are motivation to find a solution.
3. Agreements made in the meeting/s are followed through and everyone is committed to moving forward it's the actions agreed.

That's a text book theoretical "in an ideal world" answer. Life in the workplace and your specific scenario is much more nuanced but it's good to aim high!

daisychain01 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:18:30

Sorry are motivated not motivation

daisychain01 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:23:39

As it's just you (team member) and manager, there ought to be an independent person like HR overseeing proceedings otherwise the manager has a distinct advantage over the employee due to their seniority. Make sure you exercise your right to be accompanied by either a colleague or union rep.

If you can get hold of your HR policy, it will help you to read through how the process is meant to run, then you'll get a comfort factor it is being fairly administered.

TiredNick Sat 08-Apr-17 20:29:31

Thanks daisy, sorry for late reply. Have had a look at policy and seems to be the way forward so will see how it goes! Can't give details here as they know I am a mumsnetter. Appreciate you replying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now