Talk

Advanced search

Work unfair about pregnancy related sick leave

(2 Posts)
Cleo2628 Mon 27-Mar-17 08:45:04

Hello I'm wondering if any of you could help me or give me your opinion

I am 11 weeks pregnant, and since 7 weeks have had crippling morning (all day) sickness. I had 1 full week off at week 7 after the midwife told me to do so and I have tried my best to go in since then, but have had the odd day or two off since then as it is very severe. I feel like I am trying as hard as I can to go into work - I fainted on the train into work one morning which I feel shows that my body is struggling!

This morning I had to call in sick again. I fainted whilst getting ready and have also been throwing up, I would never take a day off sick unless I really had to. I'd say in total I've had about 2 weeks off which I didn't think was too major considering I am so unwell & am trying.

I don't have a physically demanding job, but this morning my employer said that I need to think about if I am still fit for the role!! They said if this sickness is going to continue then I need to think about if I can do the job.. I explained that I'm 11 weeks so it should hopefully settle soon, but they were having none of it!! They were very rude on the phone and were basically pushing me to resign, by continually saying things such as "this role is causing you too much stress clearly if you can't come in" "if you can't get into work then you're not fit for the role".

I am so angry & upset and most of all worried. My fiancé works so hard but at the same time we can't afford for me to stop working. I know they haven't fired me but they've made me feel so guilty for not coming in, like I've done something terrible. They've made me feel like a burden and I can see clearly that they want me to leave as it'll be easier for them. What should I do??

HelenDenver Mon 27-Mar-17 08:48:48

Maternity Action and ACAS may be helpful. IIRC, they are acting illegally as pregnancy related sickness should be exempt.

Not a lawyer or HR person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now