Talk

Advanced search

Too much work-when to take on someone else

(10 Posts)
Realitea Fri 24-Mar-17 18:15:01

I look after people's houses, mainly cleaning or dealing with issues if the owners are away as most live elsewhere and have these as second homes.
I now have enough houses to look after but I'm still having people calling me with new ones.
I'm thinking this is where I could expand and have people work for me but I'd rather they were self employed and just let me pay them and I keep a couple of pounds for myself so like an agency. Would that work?
Does anyone out there have a business brain to help with ideas or would it be easier for me to just turn down the work and keep it simple (but make no more money!)

Livedandlearned Fri 24-Mar-17 18:18:27

I'm watching this with interest as I'm in almost the same boat. To me the best idea would be to employ someone who is also self employed, but my fear is that they will try and steal my customers.
Good luck op, hope you can expand.

user1474439326 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:33:38

Yes you can take someone on and they can be self employed - so like you say just take the top slice for yourself. Only issue we have found with this is finding good enough people to represent a small business built on reputation - no one ever does as good a job as you!

flowery Fri 24-Mar-17 18:47:57

Please don't get caught out like so many companies are these days. Employment status isn't something you get to choose. It is determined by the nature of the relationship between the parties and there are a variety of factors taken into account by an employment tribunal or by HMRC when assessing whether someone is employed or not. Don't get taken to tribunal, like Uber, like Pimlico Plumbers and so many others.

You can't just call it self employment, it needs to actually be that way in reality. What you write in a contract or agreement won't help you if the nature of the relationship between you and the people working for you is one of employment.

Do plenty of research into what kind of factors are taken into account for this before going ahead.

Realitea Fri 24-Mar-17 19:20:16

I wonder where the line is between finding someone work and keeping a bit of money for yourself or actually employing someone. Also I would need to really make sure they are as good as I am as I've got my work through very good companies recommending me as they know people speak highly of my work.
I was thinking a check list and training might be a good idea

ImNotWhoYouThinkIAmOhNo Fri 24-Mar-17 22:56:01

Listen to flowery - she's an expert. And aren't there changes coming into force on April 6th, meaning even if people are technically self-employed there will have to be changes to how you pay people, by which I mean you may have to account for their tax and NI. It's a minefield - get professional advice.

Realitea Sat 25-Mar-17 07:53:04

Thank you, I had no idea how complicated it was!

daisychain01 Sat 25-Mar-17 09:04:08

I've seen this happen so much in my local area. Cleaners and gardening services often find they are a victim of their own success. Especially if they are great at their job. But the critical mass of work fluctuates, which can be an issue.

Instead of turning work away, you could do what my cleaner does, She has an informal trusted network of 1-2 cleaners in the area to recommend. This means you can ensure enough work of your own to make you a good living and recommend any surplus to your 'circle' of cleaning professionals. If everyone 'plays nicely' it is an excellent word of mouth approach that means nobody needs to advertise and everyone gets a steady supply of customers. You could even set up a private Facebook group or similar.

Gets round all the complexity of employment issues.

We're in a rural area, so I'm not sure if it would be doable in a big town or city, but worth thinking about?

Realitea Sun 26-Mar-17 21:15:07

Thank you, yes I'm in a rural area too and that kind of thing is what I've decided to do. It's much simpler. I know two other ladies who I've contacted now and they're keen to help out if I'm not able to do it so it works out nicely.

daisychain01 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:37:49

All the very best for your venture!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now