Talk

Advanced search

When is two years two years?

(4 Posts)
KingLooieCatz Fri 24-Mar-17 15:11:50

Fixed term 2 year contract started 13/04/15. I have not been given a date to finish, just 2 years from commencement. I take it that would be the 12th. Either way, guy I spoke to on ACAS helpline says I have redundancy rights if I'm working on 13/04/17, not the day before. Everything I find on-line just says "two years" rather than defining it. The fact the contract says two year fixed term would indicate to me that on my final day I have redundancy rights.

Employer dithering about keeping me on.

Can anyone say with confidence?

DragonMamma Fri 24-Mar-17 17:29:10

Tricky one. I wouldn't write a contract saying two years but when looking at the date (for the contracts I do write), I always do 2 years, less one day. So in your example I would have done the 12/04/17.

I would agree with you though, on your two year anniversary I.e. 13/04/17 you would have full employment rights.

flowery Fri 24-Mar-17 17:45:54

I'd say you've completed two years' service at the end of the working day on 12 April 17. At 9am (or whatever start time it is) on 13 April you will be starting your third year of service.

KingLooieCatz Fri 24-Mar-17 17:54:51

Thanks guys. Hopefully they just give me a permanent contract next week. There was talk of extending temporary so I don't think HR are on the ball. They were a bit daft to make it a two year contract in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now