Talk

Advanced search

Off work with morning sickness - will this affect SMP?

(7 Posts)
joojoobean99 Fri 24-Mar-17 09:38:58

Hi all,

I'm 15 weeks pregnant (due September) and have been signed off work with HG since about 7 weeks. My employer doesn't offer sick pay so I'm only getting SSP at the moment. I think it will be a good 3-4 weeks before I can even think about returning to work, so probably not until around the end of April.

I've just been online and filled in the SMP calculator, and I'm a bit worried because it asks what my earnings were between March 17 to May 17 and bases the 6 weeks 90% calculation on those earnings, which clearly won't be my usual full time earnings because of the SSP. I'm worried that I'm not going to get the full amount of SMP that I thought I was entitled to because I've been off sick. I didn't realise that my actual earnings so early in the pregnancy would be the amount that they base SMP on.

Can anyone with knowledge of SMP advise if this information is correct? Money is going to be so tight as it is, and I'm now worried that I'm going to get less than I thought!

TIA x

Rockchick1984 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:02:58

That's correct, if you are only getting SSP then your maternity pay will be based on that unless your company offers occupational maternity pay.

joojoobean99 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:35:23

Rockchick, how come it's based on my earnings between March-May? I will hopefully be back at work full time by the end of April, so could they not use my earnings from the later months that I won't be on SSP? Seems really unfair that my SMP will be lower because I'm having to take time off for HG! confused

LillyBugg Fri 24-Mar-17 16:46:00

That's just how it's calculated. Government prescribed calculation so there's nothing you're employer can do unfortunately. Sorry you've been so ill sad

DragonMamma Fri 24-Mar-17 17:20:24

There's not much you can do, I'm afraid. As PP's have said. It can work both ways as people who have bonuses in their qualifying weeks get artificially high, higher rate SMP as a result.

I know there's nothing you can do about it, if you're ill but at least you're aware of it so can (hopefully!) plan for the shortfall.

flowery Fri 24-Mar-17 17:52:52

Far more women are off sick or have to reduce hours (and therefore pay) in the later stages of pregnancy, which I imagine is part of the reason the period was chosen.

Also, you can start maternity leave from 29 weeks anyway, so the period for calculation needs to be early enough.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:59:47

I sympathise OP. I was off with sickness between weeks 9-16 and for two months my pay was £400 less each month because of it.

Between weeks 16-20 I was on lighter duties and reduced hours due to pregnancy complications with my health and again my pay for that period was about £400 less than usual.

I'm absolutely dreading what my Maternity Pay is going to be sad

I really don't think it's fair to be punished due to illness and that MP should be based on your typical monthly wage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now