Talk

Advanced search

Be honest about interview?

(8 Posts)
monkeytennismum Wed 22-Mar-17 22:48:49

I have an interview for a new job and I'm wondering whether to be honest and request time off, or throw a sickie.

Bit of background: Current job is in a team which has a constant rolling turnover because of the nature of the work. People often do the job for a year or so to get some experience before going on to other roles in that field and in my initial interview I made it clear that it was not a forever job for me. I've been there a year now.

However, I am wondering - can an employer refuse to give you time off for an interview? I don't care if I'm not paid for it, as it's peanuts in money terms, but I don't want to have to argue to have the time off. The job I'm going for is highly competitive so I only have a small %age chance of being successful - is it worth the aggravation of not throwing a sickie?

Any advice welcome, thank you!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 22-Mar-17 22:55:41

I have never ever told a workplace i was going for an interview elsewhere. Holiday or sickie.

grumpysquash3 Wed 22-Mar-17 23:02:27

Just say you've got an appointment and book a half day off.

BettyBaggins Wed 22-Mar-17 23:07:42

I'd take a day off so I had good time to prep.

daisychain01 Thu 23-Mar-17 02:27:59

I would take the day off, its legit and you don't have to "look over your shoulder", you can give yourself time to get to the interview etc and maybe go for a nice coffee afterwards. All the best of luck!

FreeNiki Thu 23-Mar-17 02:30:15

Gas man, electrician, cable guy, etc is coming.

monkeytennismum Thu 23-Mar-17 06:04:15

Ah sorry, I forgot a vital piece of information! I have a school job and we're not allowed leave during school hours, so it has to be honesty or a sickie. I think I'm going for the sickie from responses so far, so thank you.

MudCity Thu 23-Mar-17 06:10:59

I would be honest. I was in a similar situation recently and decided to be honest about the interview...just as well because, by some twist of fate, my director happened to be in the same building the interviews were taking place so would have seen me anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now