Talk

Advanced search

Interviewed in January, no start date..

(12 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Wed 22-Mar-17 15:55:51

I was interviewed & offered a post in Jan this year, I have received my conditional offer and all the references/clearances been sorted but I am still waiting for confirmation of my final salary and a start date. My current employer is unable to advertise my role as I have not yet officially resigned, and I am starting to feel quote awkward about the whole thing and not even sure now whether it is the right move. I have tried chasing up the relevant depts but just doesn't seem to be going any quicker. My current boss has said that he is happy for me to stay, but in discussing what I do the directors just don't see exactly what I do do, so I know nothing would change so how could I possibly stay, but I have doubts that the new job is the right one, and I feel bad for thinking about this..

mammasmadhouse Thu 23-Mar-17 07:42:43

Anyone, my gut instinct is saying withdraw from the new job as I am giving up things if you like ie won't be able to travel by car, so will need to rejig the school run, will need to do longer days as more hours, but slightly less money, ( I know the range thye can offer) but there is a very supportive team. If I did withdraw how do I play it, what do I say, how do I restore my credibility in my current job...?

tribpot Thu 23-Mar-17 07:52:12

It is a bizarrely long time - I've known jobs where it has taken ages because of red tape, but never where the hiring organisation haven't bothered to keep the candidate informed about progress so as not to lose them.

It sounds like the existing job isn't right for you for a number of reasons, but this new job doesn't sound all that either. Probably the best thing to do is start looking for another new job - you have pretty much blown it at the current place but your boss is being quite reasonable. So I would tell him you have withdrawn from the other post but will be job hunting to allow him to fill your post with someone more suited to it. And then not mention it again.

daisychain01 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:14:43

In terms of closing off the 'new job' you are reasonable and within your rights to email them:

"Thank you for your job offer dated xx Jan 2017. Due to the significant delay providing details of salary and start date, I regret to hereby withdraw my interest in the role. I have now made alternative arrangements. Thank you for your interest in me"

daisychain01 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:22:08

I would clarify to your current boss that the new position didn't work out.

Beyond that, I'd just get on with your job, as you have to date. You don't have any reason to say anything about future plans. Keep your powder dry as they say.

The contractual notice period is designed to give your employers sufficient time to replace you, you don't need to extend that at present, especially if you don't have anything else in the bag.

mammasmadhouse Thu 23-Mar-17 08:24:04

Thanks both, I just feel so utterly stupid about it all and new employers just seem so laid back. Recruitment just say we don't deal with the pay bit it can take some time and despite new line manager saying I am chasing it is always following the multiple emails I have sent requesting an update.

RayofFuckingSunshine Thu 23-Mar-17 08:24:45

Maybe email a final time and give them a deadline, specifying that if it isn't sorted by then you will have to consider other options.

daisychain01 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:28:18

But the OP has had second thoughts and doesn't want the new job after all - so the faffing around of the new employer is something she can capitalise on, if she wants a graceful way of extricating herself from that situation.

nursebickypegs Thu 23-Mar-17 08:30:05

I've seen this happen a lot, esp in the NHS. Have the new job explained what the hold up is at their end?

weaselwords Thu 23-Mar-17 08:31:05

Our NHS trust takes a stupidly long time to give start dates for people we recruit and we've had people pull out and go to different jobs because of it. Do what is best for you.

SoAngryArghh Thu 23-Mar-17 08:33:46

I think start looking elsewhere too. Doesn't sound like either job is right for you but the less stress would be staying where you are while you look for a new job.

nursebickypegs Thu 23-Mar-17 15:00:19

@weaselwords I've waited 4 months for a contract, then it's a further 6 weeks notice. I went for my current role in Feb, started end of May last year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now