Talk

Advanced search

New to my job

(3 Posts)
Saz626 Wed 22-Mar-17 07:17:46

Hi everyone,

I'm new to mums net and just wanted to seek a bit of reassurance really! Sorry if this is under the wrong subject, I wasn't sure where to put it!

I started a new job in October which could be potentially career changing for me. They're paying for me to go to college and get my qualifications and I love my job and they're a really good company to work for. I already have a daughter who is going to be six in may and they are completely understanding when it comes to me being a mum first over anything else.

So this is where my problem comes in me and my partner have decided we definitely want another child, we've ummed and ah'd for a long time but I had a miscarriage last year and it seems that had helped us to decide we definitely do want another. I don't feel like it would be appropriate for me to actively try to get pregnant so early in my job, I was thinking maybe when I've been there twelve months? I'm also concerned about the growing age gap between my daughter and if we have another child? I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance from other mums about the age gap and the getting pregnant at a fairly new job? Is there anyone who's been in a similar situation? Or anyone who had a bit of advice and reassurance?

Thank you for any comments
Sarah smile

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 22-Mar-17 12:53:29

I have a 9 year age gap between my 2 and it worked well for us and the boys get on well as there is no direct sibling rivalry even down to one is now working and GCSEs are totally different to what oldest did.

As far as getting pregnant early in your new job I would consider how it would affect the qualifications/college course more than possibly the job itself per se. Will it affect you getting qualified if you had to stop the course whilst on maternity leave? If so I would consider waiting until after the qualifications. At what point would you qualify for an additional maternity benefits at your company (if any) as that might be worth looking at too.

Legally if you become pregnant there is nothing they can do about it other than offer what you are entitled to by law but the reality is you may end up being passed over in favour of people without commitments as you are no doubt aware hence the post.

Saz626 Wed 22-Mar-17 15:45:26

Thank you for your response. I guess I know the common sense and right thing to do is to wait until I've been in my job a longer period and also have my qualifications under my belt. That way I'll be in a better position with not just my company but work life itself.

I'm just impatient I guess and the age gap does bother me slightly. I'd always wanted a small gap but that has gone out of the window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now