Talk

Advanced search

Declaring illness

(5 Posts)
littlebillie Wed 22-Mar-17 06:49:33

I just wondered if anyone knows if you need to declare any Heath issues if you apply for a new job.

SookiesSocks Wed 22-Mar-17 06:58:32

Depends if it will affect your job and if they ask.
When I applied for mine 4 years ago I had to complete a health questionaire.

Crumbs1 Wed 22-Mar-17 07:02:05

You don't have to declare disability but you might be asked to fill in health questionnaire that includes number of days off sick.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Wed 22-Mar-17 07:10:04

I've always declared my long term health condition- it doesn't affect me day to day but if it hits me it hits hard and I could miss a significant period of work. I've always thought best that they know, but generally I've done this on an occupational health questionnaire after accepting the offer, just in case the knowledge would colour my chances of getting the job! Is your health issue likely to effect work?

daisychain01 Wed 22-Mar-17 07:32:54

Employers are not allowed to include questions about an interviewee's health or sickness record when applying for a job. If you see it on a form you can leave it blank, its an old form, prior to the Equality Act 2010

If you are actually offered the job, then the prospective employer has to tread carefully because their line of questioning should only be to establish the candidate is capable of performing the job being offered. They cannot use it to discriminate against the candidate. The burden is on the employer if they withdraw the job offer to prove no discrimination took place - that's if the candidate chose to take action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now