Talk

Advanced search

How bad is a bad sickness record?

(5 Posts)
Emphasise Mon 20-Mar-17 19:43:00

I've been offered a new job and as part of the pre employment checks new employer has asked old employer for my sickness record. I have to give permission but obviously it won't look good if I refuse.

So, I used to be one of those people who'd never has a day off, but just under 2 years ago I started a new job (with small children) and seemed to catch everything going. Mostly I soldiered on but I had a couple of days off with a stomach bug and then went down with a really nasty virus that knocked me out for weeks. first week was in the holidays, then I had a week off, went back too soon and had to have a few more days the following week. So to answer the question asked, Ive had 3 periods of sickness totalling 9 days in the last 2 years. They were all within 6 weeks but it doesn't ask that.

Is that really awful? It's much worse than "normal" for me but will it seem so to someone who sees a lot if these iyswim?

RC1234 Mon 20-Mar-17 20:59:46

I think you will be OK with that level. I had a similar bad run of luck and it didn't hold me back.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 20-Mar-17 21:01:08

That would be fine in my business . And I work in a very process driven , efficient industry .

ArchNotImpudent Mon 20-Mar-17 21:01:40

It wouldn't trigger any absence managment thresholds where I work.

Launderetta Mon 20-Mar-17 21:07:05

It doesn't sound bad at all to me, either. Plus it's justifiable - not the pattern of a serial player of the system.

A decade ago my employer used the Bradford Index, which was (I think) number of incidents x no of days, over a rolling year. It quantified the issue & there were targets & tolerances, but no one was ever fired for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now