Talk

Advanced search

Job downgraded whilst on maternity

(12 Posts)
CottonSock Sat 18-Mar-17 10:28:51

My employer just undertook a company wide job evaluation. Mine was downgraded and salary cut 12.5 %.

I am appealing but finding it difficult whilst looking after two small children.

I feel I'm disadvantaged as a result.

Do I have any cause for complaining?

flowery Sat 18-Mar-17 13:47:00

What is it you're finding difficulty with exactly? Have you asked for any adjustments to the procedure?

CottonSock Sat 18-Mar-17 13:49:29

I'm not in work mode, out of touch / out of the loop
I don't have childcare so can't attend meetings etc or work for more than an hour at a time.
I have a small baby and I'm very tired trying to fit in writing this in evenings
My line manager is off sick and can't help

flowery Sat 18-Mar-17 13:53:57

What additional support do you feel they should be providing and have you asked for it?

daisychain01 Sat 18-Mar-17 15:09:08

How did they 'break the news' to you that your role was being downgraded. Did you get a proper letter explaining their rationale/justification for why your role lost 12.5% value ie did they say it was based on industry or role benchmarking?

I can imagine it feels a real downer being remote from your workplace and not being able to talk with your manager sad

CottonSock Sun 19-Mar-17 08:23:29

Yes I got a proper letter. Not industry benchmarked, but jobs matched to generic role profiles by a matching panel.

I just really resent having to work on this whilst I'm trying to enjoy baby. Guess I will have to just suck it up.

I needed more time. Now they have given an extension of two weeks to everyone

flowery Sun 19-Mar-17 08:43:40

"I just really resent having to work on this whilst I'm trying to enjoy baby"

That's understandable but if it's company-wide there's probably not going to be a lot that could have been done about that. Your question was whether you have any cause for complaining, and the answer depends on things like how well they've communicated with you and involved you, given you enough time etc.

BikeRunSki Sun 19-Mar-17 08:46:33

Have you been off more than a year?

CottonSock Sun 19-Mar-17 16:05:09

Been off since last june

BikeRunSki Sun 19-Mar-17 22:39:58

My understanding is that for 9 months you can go back to exactly the same job you left, as long as it still exists. BUT - my youngest is 6 and I am not an HR professional, so I may well be wrong.

prh47bridge Sun 19-Mar-17 22:55:57

My understanding is that for 9 months you can go back to exactly the same job you left

No, that's wrong. If you take up to 26 weeks (6 months) maternity leave you have the right to return to your original job. Once you go beyond that (as the OP has done) the employer can offer you a similar job if it is not possible to give the employee their old job back.

BikeRunSki Sun 19-Mar-17 23:16:16

Sorry, I stand corrected. I thought that change happened at 9 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now