Post offer health questionnaire

(13 Posts)
Glossolalia Fri 17-Mar-17 19:16:52

DH has been offered a new role and has been emailed a copy of his employment contract.

I haven't seen the questionnaire yet but I imagine it will ask for the number of sick days/weeks he has had in the last 1-2 years.

In the email it states he will need to fill in a post offer health questionnaire. I'm really worried about it. DH had 6 months of work last year due to stress.

Could they withdraw the offer based on this?

Glossolalia Fri 17-Mar-17 19:17:31

Sorry, I reordered my paragraphs and that doesn't read well blush

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 17-Mar-17 19:22:11

They will likely ask their occi health dept for advice, they may want to talk to him and get more details. I suffered depression in my final year at uni, had to declare it when applying for my first job and they asked questions, but were satisfied I was better and I still got offered the job. They might also ask for a longer abscence history so they can see if theres a pattern or if its a one off.

Glossolalia Fri 17-Mar-17 19:40:43

But could they withdraw the offer?

Gingernaut Fri 17-Mar-17 19:46:17

Yes. They could. I've had that happen to me.

I was offered a job, told them about an RSI and they withdrew the job offer.

Glossolalia Fri 17-Mar-17 19:49:45

What's an RSI Gingernaut

Oh and fuck fuck fuck.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 17-Mar-17 19:51:03

If the offer is subject to references etc I think they could, DH had in interview where they were really keen until they found out his sickness record, but they had never given him a formal offer. He has a condition covered under disability discrimination act and had a recent occi health report from his stating advice that he was allowed weekly appointments and stating they felt furthur periods of sickness were unlikely, but he didn't get a chance to share this.

Glossolalia Fri 17-Mar-17 20:01:57

Yes, the offer is subject to satisfactory references.

Eek!

Glossolalia Fri 17-Mar-17 20:03:08

Nolonger I thought employers weren't allowed to ask pre-offer health questions? Surely if it was a disability they would be breaching the equalities act?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 17-Mar-17 20:08:23

Maybe they are not allowed, but would be difficult to prove thats why he didn't get an offer. They told him they were going to follow up references and check his sickness records, but didn't formally offer the job subject to references. They didn't ask him any health questions so he didn't get any opportunity to explain his sickness. He's got a job he's happy in now though.

Gingernaut Fri 17-Mar-17 21:53:51

Repetitive Strain Injury. Tenosynovitis.

The job was going to be working as an Admin Assistant with a lot of keyboard work.

They didn't think I was capable.

I am currently working as an Admin Assistant with a lot of keyboard work.

Work that one out.

Glossolalia Fri 17-Mar-17 21:58:37

Oh of course, sorry I didn't twig the acronym. Glad you have found another role. Did OH check you out before they clawed back the offer?

He wasn't off for work related stress so I'm hoping that makes a difference.

Gingernaut Fri 17-Mar-17 23:42:20

It's one of those Catch 22 situations.

It wasn't an issue when I applied for the job. I acquired the injury shelf stacking at a supermarket and it had sloooooooowly got better over the years.

However, I was stuck. Don't mention it and I had no comeback if it reared it's ugly head again or mention it at the OH medical they sent me for and risk losing the offer.

I mentioned it and tried to explain it was no longer a problem but the doctor who examined me just fixated on it.

Bastard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now