Talk

Advanced search

Accepted a new job, been offered another one, what to do?

(7 Posts)
SparklyUnicornPoo Tue 14-Mar-17 14:59:46

I accepted a job this morning via phone, not signed anything yet/received an offer letter, interview was yesterday. This afternoon I have been invited for 2 interviews. Both interviews are in the next week, before I'm due to go in to sort out paperwork, start date isn't for a month.

I don't want to mess the first job around, especially as its a company i may well want to work for in the future (love the company but post is part time, the others are full time) but also don't want to place all my bets on being offered one of the other two in case I don't get them.

So is there a cut off point where i can't just change my mind, or could I go to the interviews and not mention it to the job that already offered, unless I get offered one of the others?

daisychain01 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:13:41

You're counting on the more recent companies getting back to you in double-quick time, before you need to formalise the job offer you have received. That's a big risk, companies can take ages and drag their heels making a decision.

Normally a job offer comes with some indication of 'expiry' of the offer. Have they given you any indication how urgently they need you to start?

SparklyUnicornPoo Tue 14-Mar-17 19:18:52

yeah i have a start date a month from now and had said yes to the job before I'd been invited to these interviews, the other two are looking for people to start about the same time (working with children/schools, so to fit in with the start of the new term) its typical, I've been job hunting for months and not got as far a being offered interviews.

Scribblegirl Tue 14-Mar-17 19:22:25

It may not be ethical but I'd find a reason to push back meeting with Company 1, and tell Companies 2 + 3 that I'm holding an offer and if they want to see me they need to move quick.

You don't want to be a Dickensian, but don't go being overly loyal to a company you don't even work for yet - you only get one life and taking the wrong job will screw you over far more than going back on your verbal agreement will to them.

Scribblegirl Tue 14-Mar-17 19:23:11

Ha! A dick! Obviously if you were a Dickensian work would be far less forgiving wink

CartwheelGirl Tue 14-Mar-17 21:14:51

Dickensian grin

CartwheelGirl Tue 14-Mar-17 21:21:57

I'd say if the job you were already offered suits you, go for it. There are too many unknowns with the interviews you've not yet attended and they may come to nothing.

I would still attend the other interviews to meet the people and get a feel about the place, for the future, but I would place my bets firmly on the job you already accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now