Talk

Advanced search

NHS application form

(11 Posts)
pennycan Sun 12-Mar-17 15:34:39

I am applying for an NHS position and I know that each item of the Person Spec needs to be addressed. My question is does it matter where? It feels more natural to do a lot of it within the previous/current job description. Or should that be a lot briefer and factual and to use the Supporting Info section to elaborate? To complicate matters it's a trainee position and the only job/person spec they have added is for the eventual Band 5 role. Thanks for any advice.

Gingernaut Sun 12-Mar-17 15:39:40

There should be an instruction somewhere on the form not to repeat information given elsewhere.

You are correct. If you have addressed the points in the job description, you don't have to reiterate those points again in the personal statement.

cowbag1 Sun 12-Mar-17 15:46:03

I'm an NHS recruiting manager; the job description sections for each position you've held should be used to list all of your duties in that post as succinctly as you can. The supporting info section should then be used to show how you meet the person spec by addressing each of the essential critieria and as many of the desirables as you can in turn. Working through them in the order they are set out in the person spec will make it easier for the shortlister and make sure you mirror the language used in the person spec so that it stands out if they are only skim reading (which they may do if they have 30 plus applications to read!)

cowbag1 Sun 12-Mar-17 15:47:56

Also, as it's a trainee position I would put a paragraph in the supporting info about what has led you to this position and where you hope it will take you.

yecartmannew Sun 12-Mar-17 15:56:37

Cowbag please can I ask you a qustion re references? My application forms asks for 2 references who must relate to my last 3 years job history and be line manager etc. I have only had 1 boss in my current job which I have been in for 5 years . Can I use him and the job before that?

Also the most important thing is that I don't want him to be contacted unless the job offer is definitely going to happen as it would cause me significant problems if he is aware I am applying for new jobs

cowbag1 Sun 12-Mar-17 16:04:39

Yes those references sound fine. There should be a box you can tick/untick about contacting referees before a job offer.

pennycan Sun 12-Mar-17 17:36:45

Thanks for that. I think I'll have a little rejig before I send it. As I said it is quite difficult this time because most of the person spec relates to the actual post I will be training for. One other question, what sort of format should the Supporting Info be? Proper paragraphs or just to the point bullet points?

cowbag1 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:08:38

I think that's down to personal preference really. When reading a supporting info section I wouldn't mind either way but when I've applied for things myself I've approached it like an essay with an opening paragraph explaining why I've applied and what I'm currently doing, followed by addressing the person spec points with as much evidence as possible and closing with a couple of sentences on why I'm right for the role.

pennycan Sun 12-Mar-17 20:15:01

Great, that's what I tend to do. Thanks.

highinthesky Sun 12-Mar-17 20:16:55

Also, make sure you meet all the Es and as many of the DS as you can.

yecartmannew Mon 13-Mar-17 07:53:11

Thank you cowbag

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now