Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Hes been working off the books unknowingly!

(6 Posts)
NoWittyNamesAvailable Fri 10-Mar-17 18:04:41

We have been having lots of problems with oh's employers never paying him correctly, often underpaying him by up to £100 a week! He's not been getting wage slips either. I asked him to ask for his wage slips for the past 3 months so we can finally move in together and claim wtc alongside his wage. He asked for them 3 weeks ago and was told hes 'never been put on the books' they said they'd sort it. Long story short they haven't. Hes been looking for other work but isn't having much luck with anyone getting back to him. If he quits this job does anyone know if he would be entitled to claim JSA in the meantime?

I have taken steps to report them but we are now in an impossible situation, if he stays he's staying on knowing that they aren't paying him nmw or tax. But if he voluntarily leaves a job am i right in thinking they do not have to allow JSA for up to 26 weeks?

(Sorry for any typos I'm so angry and upset im typing very fast and on my phone)

Akire Fri 10-Mar-17 18:09:08

The job centre will probably not pay if he looks like given up job but worth checking given they don't sound legal. I presume they have been taking tax and NI out of his pay and paying him after deductions not just paying gross. So could be dodgy there.

NoWittyNamesAvailable Fri 10-Mar-17 18:12:23

They have paid nothing! This is why im so wound up over it, turns out none of their staff are on the books. He's not had any p60s in 2 years and he cant remember when he last had a wage slip. Hes so gullible and trusting he rarely questions things. Its only because i mentioned he'd need his wageslips he asked for them. The place is a nightmare.

daisychain01 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:01:42

How long has he been working for the company?

LIZS Fri 10-Mar-17 21:15:39

He needs to report them to Hmrc, or at least threaten to in case it prompts action. It will affect his ni record as he may not have been making contributions therefore not be entitled to contributions based jsa. Acas might be worth a call.

daisychain01 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:45:48

He ought to logon to his HMRC Pensions record and it will give an annual account of all the years when he has contributed towards NI plus any years which show a deficit.

If he is reasonably quick he can make catch up payments for the years he hasn't paid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: