Talk

Advanced search

Need help in quitting a job

(13 Posts)
earlgreysandpuppies Thu 09-Mar-17 12:47:34

Looking for some advice on how to quit my job with the least impact possible. My other commitments (full time student and training for big event) and thought I could handle all of it as I needed the money. I can't handle it all basically, uni work is slipping and I'm having to miss days there, I'm exhausted, I want to just quit asap but lots of people have recently left in my department and there's always such a big fuss about it - cakes and parties and company policy means the whole organisation has to know when someone leaves and where they're going next etc and I've only been there a few months so it's just a bit much. I hate stuff like that anyway.
So what I'm asking is - do I just jack in and run (that's terrible but I did it once before- emailed and said sorry I can't come back - I'm a terrible person I know. That's how much I hate confrontation)
Tell my boss (who says he takes it as a personal insult when people leave his dept) I have to leave and ask him not to go through all the usual protocols.
Or do I stick it out?

blush any help appreciated x

KatnissMellark Thu 09-Mar-17 12:50:23

Just write a letter giving notice and hand it in. Do not just email and not go back, it's terrible behaviour and could affect your reference/put you in breach of contract. If you don't want any fuss just say so. YAB ridiculous in my opinion.

ThreeFish Thu 09-Mar-17 12:51:59

You cant just not go back.
What does your contract say?
What policies do you have to comply with?

Apart from that, when you give your boss notice that you intend to leave you can tell him you don't want any fuss made over a leaving do - no cakes or parties etc.

Astro55 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:53:16

Agree - short letter

I wish to give 4 weeks notice of my intention to leave x company

Thank you for the opportunity

That's it

Any mention of parties - just say - I'd love to - but in very busy with exams - every time

earlgreysandpuppies Thu 09-Mar-17 12:55:12

In my contract it says a weeks notice. Do you think it would be possible if I asked him to keep it relatively quiet? Or is it his duty to tell the rest of the department? I can ask for no fuss and that the whole company not be told why I'm going and hopefully he will comply.

I know it's awful what I did last time, it was cos my boss was being intimidating to me and would just shout at me in front of my colleagues which triggered my anxiety and meant I couldn't go back. Still no excuse though I won't do that again!!

earlgreysandpuppies Thu 09-Mar-17 12:56:36

Also thanks for your replies, really appreciate it!! smile

Semaphorically Thu 09-Mar-17 13:03:58

Do you have a contractual notice period? If you do then you can't just leave without going back.

Semaphorically Thu 09-Mar-17 13:04:45

Oops sorry x post. Can you have a word to your boss about keeping it quiet, tell him it's a very difficult and regrettable decision but you have to balance your time commitments?

earlgreysandpuppies Thu 09-Mar-17 13:22:16

Yeah I will do, I'm supposed to have a meeting with him tomorrow to discuss my progress, I could bring it up then and say I need to prioritise and my degree comes first and that I would like to slip away quietly if at all possible...he told me it was policy to inform the whole office when someone leaves and write a list of all their achievements whilst there to be read out at a big party. It's so embarrassing I don't know why it's company policy at all

daisychain01 Thu 09-Mar-17 17:59:25

Unfortunately these protocols are part of organisational life. Its great you are doing a degree but if you intend to use your qualification and talents to good effect, a big part of it is being able to participate not cut and run.

Perhaps this can be your chance to experience the feeling of stepping away gracefully. If you've only been there a few months I'm sure they wont over-egg the pudding about achievements but just say thanks for being here when you were. smile

wickerlampshade Thu 09-Mar-17 20:47:48

Drop the event instead of the job?

earlgreysandpuppies Fri 10-Mar-17 10:34:08

Just talked to boss and told him I'm struggling to cope. Also booked HR appt for Monday to talk about my options. Thanks guys I really appreciate your help x

earlgreysandpuppies Mon 13-Mar-17 15:09:48

Handed in my notice! Sounds stupid but I feel proud. No one probably cares but thanks again for everyone who replied 😘

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now