Talk

Advanced search

Went blank in interview

(5 Posts)
DevaDiva Tue 07-Mar-17 09:39:20

I'm so cross with myself and need to vent. I had an interview yesterday for a job that would have been a step up in my career and a great role too and I think I fluffed it. 3 interviewers and one of them just didn't seem convinced, just so happens he's the one with the casting vote.

I've just taken redundancy as my company wanted me to relocate so need to find something pretty swift and this came up at just the right time. I prepped really well, put together a great presentation but then I went totally blank on 2 questions and gave really dull, boring answers. I work in Marketing and have done some pretty cool stuff in the last few years but could I think of ANY of them in the interview - not a one! And yes I had done all the prep in putting together my STARS which included all the great activity i've managed. I think I just wanted it too much.

I guess i'll just have to chalk this one up to experience and move on, i've got another interview on Thursday...must do better.

daisychain01 Tue 07-Mar-17 12:41:42

Interviews are often lessons learned experiences

I work in Marketing and have done some pretty cool stuff in the last few years but could I think of ANY of them in the interview - not a one!

There is nothing to stop you making a brief list of past projects/accomplishments in a small notebook and taking it in with you to the interview room. The received wisdom is that you should never be seen to read straight from a notebook, but having the list to glance at is perfectly acceptable.

It isn't meant to be an exam, and you can show confidence by using notes as a light 'prop', but not a script.

I've done several STARs and the interviewees never objected. One of those was the interview for my current role.

daisychain01 Tue 07-Mar-17 12:42:25

Good luck for the next interview

daisychain01 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:56:46

Apologies I meant interviewers not interviewees!

DevaDiva Tue 07-Mar-17 14:05:39

Thanks, I think a list as a prompt is a good idea just in case it happens again.

I didn't get it, they did actually really like me but have gone with a candidate who has already worked in the sector at a more senior level than I have - oh well, onwards and upwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now