Talk

Advanced search

CV and unemployment

(4 Posts)
DancingTulips Thu 02-Mar-17 00:28:03

Looking for some help with my CV please.

I haven't worked since last September, prior to that I had a solid, regular work history. I moved house to a different part of the country but the job offer I had fell through and I then became unwell with all the stress.

I'm now feeling better and looking for work again, but how do I explain this gap in my CV? Whatever I say, I'm worried that this gap will be the first thing that a recruiter will notice.

daisychain01 Thu 02-Mar-17 03:49:32

I would focus on building up all the skills, qualifications and experience you attained during your career, and explain your gap between Sept 2016 -Feb2017 as a planned career break due to moving area and family reasons. Everyone has the right to take time out from work to attend to other obligations, it isn't a big deal.

Don't try to embellish anything, anyone looking at your CV will be much more interested in what you can do. Hopefully you have a good reference from your previous company,

DancingTulips Thu 02-Mar-17 13:11:27

Thank you. Yes, all my references are good. I like the phrase 'planned career break' because it is true. I think I'm worried about seemingly not having done anything in that time, not even voluntary work and having to explain why.

SarahOoo Sat 04-Mar-17 08:34:41

You could say you relocated and decided to have a career break as it was a good time to do both! You'll be fine 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now