Talk

Advanced search

Handed in my notice yesterday now regret it

(11 Posts)
Cloudhopping Sat 25-Feb-17 04:52:15

I would really appreciate some advice. I have been offered a role in my field of work with a different company. The advantages are a reduced workload and I haven't been happy with a large part of my job for sometime. The disadvantages are slightly less pay (£500 per year) and less flexibility in the role. I have a year 4 and year 6 dd.

I accepted the conditional job offer yesterdsy (it's subject to references etc which I know shouldn't be an issue) but haven't signed the contract yet. I handed my notice into my current job yesterday. (3 month notice period) I've been there 4 years. The workload is very high and can be stressful but I have a degree of flexibility and I get more leave.

I've been up since 2am worrying that I've made a big mistake and want to rescind my resignation and now decline the new offer- has anyone done this? I'm worried that less flexibility will have a bigger impact on childcare and pressure on my dh. I'm also now worried about building up sick leave and pension rights again.

Liiinoo Sat 25-Feb-17 05:32:39

This sounds like '4 o'clock in the morning madness'. Not meaning you are insane but that anything you start worrying about at that time of night always seems so much worse than it does in daylight.

Try to get some sleep and then tomorrow think about it again. And when you do, don't underestimate the value of a smaller workload and a fresh start.

Zampa Sat 25-Feb-17 05:46:18

Liiinoo is completely right. Worry about it (or not) after a decent sleep.

There are a number of reasons why you accepted the job on the first place and if it doesn't work out, you don't have an obligation to stay. However, the change may be the best thing for you.

RC1234 Sat 25-Feb-17 05:56:21

I too recently accepted a role with similar money, a reduced workload but apparently less flexibility. However .. it has worked. My new colleagues are lovely and my workload is now reasonable. My marriage which had been in trouble is now on the mend and my children are actually happier (despite being in childcare slightly more). I now enjoy work again.

I think that you are eligible for a pension immediately now due to the auto-enrolment scheme (unless it is a very small company). At the very least wait until you get the written contract before withdrawing. If your current job was that great you would not be have been looking around.

TupperwareTat Sat 25-Feb-17 06:03:11

My initial thought is - go for it.
You sound as if you could really do with this new start. Childcare will work.

You will regret not trying & you were picked for a reason!

Start your new year now flowers

GnomeDePlume Sat 25-Feb-17 06:15:18

I agree with what all PPs have written. Remember all the reasons why you looked for a new role. It is highly unlikely that your old role will improve for you. That workload wont get less, the large parts of that role you were unhappy about wont get better.

In your new role you will have the chance to make it work for you.

Good luck for your new role flowers cake gin wine (take your pick!)

VintagePerfumista Sat 25-Feb-17 06:27:04

What ^^ they all said, plus if you go back on it now, sorry, but you will lose any credibility you have with your present employers.

Congratulations on your new job! Change is terrifying, but it keeps us alive! flowers

Cloudhopping Sat 25-Feb-17 13:57:51

Thank you all for your wise words. I'm feeling much more positive in the cold light of day and I don't intend to rescind my resignation now. I'm a person who likes routine, predictability etc but I know something needs to change as my current job has turned me into a grumpy arse.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Horsemad Sat 25-Feb-17 18:15:22

You handed your notice in before all your checks were done? shock

mammasmadhouse Sun 26-Feb-17 15:34:39

Cloudhopping I am in the same boat as you and have been offered a new role, slightly less salary wise, a few more working hrs needed and no onsite parking, whereas I currently work school hrs, paid well but have no day to day or anyother means of support. Have been looking for a new role for a while and whilst I have a couple of compromises to make, my new role is a brand new post, so I have scope to make it what I want and having spoken to a number of different people who work with the team I will be working for it seems that they are great to work for & although I still have doubts I think it is more about the change of routine & comfort zone. Good luck with your new role!

Cloudhopping Sun 26-Feb-17 18:28:01

Thanks mammas that's really helpful.

Horse it was a considered risk. The checks will be references, occupational health and a criminal record check.

I know my references will be fine-good performer, met all targets, very low sick absence etc. I am lucky enough not to have any ongoing health conditions so the health clearance side will be fine and I don't have any criminal convictions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now