Talk

Advanced search

Should I apply for job at company that previously rejected me?

(10 Posts)
windygallows Fri 24-Feb-17 17:17:34

I applied and interviewed for a senior director-level job at much-desirable organization. After many interviews I was turned down and internal candidate appointed. Feedback was positive but I don't think they thought I was senior enough. The role held by the internal candidate is now up for grabs and although it would be a sideways move I'm considering applying.

If they've seen me once and already rejected me does that mean they're not interested in me working there? And if I did go for this role would they assume it would be awkward and that I'd be constantly gunning for the more senior job?

Interviews for the high level role were transparent and candidates met each other so person in post would recognize me.

Grateful for your thoughts or experiences.

Chocolateteabag Fri 24-Feb-17 17:43:45

I would go for it - you had several interviews before so it's not like they didn't rate you at all, they just went with the known person.
And why wouldn't you want to progress - "gunning for the top job" is just ambition surely?
They can only say no?

ChuckSnowballs Fri 24-Feb-17 17:46:46

I did and got it. Still do some work for them 7 years later, on a consultancy basis.

Chewbecca Fri 24-Feb-17 17:50:12

I would.

They might have really liked you and thought you were a good fit for the org, but perhaps not quite right for this job/another candidate was a better fit.

What have you got to lose?

On the plus side as well, you are showing you have a real interest in the organisation and are very keen to work for them.

daisychain01 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:20:52

If they've seen me once and already rejected me does that mean they're not interested in me working there?

How long ago was your interview? It could be completely different people will be running the interviews, making the decisions and also different business criteria / key drivers for the role this time round. And what if they regretted letting you slip through their net?

Always throw your hat in the ring for any role where you think you are the right person for the job!

daisychain01 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:25:04

Sorry I just picked up what you meant, that it's the 'successful' person's job now up for grabs. It doesn't change the fact that there may be a changed set of circumstances for this vacancy.

Is it much of a "demotion" or could you argue this role is a good fit which is why you want to apply (and somewhat downplay that it is on a lower rung of the ladder). Fact is you want to work for them.

windygallows Fri 24-Feb-17 19:45:14

The precious interview was only 4 months ago so very fresh. If I could get a similar salary I think I could make a case for it.

Good to see positive comments. I think I will give it a shot. Aside from my pride I don't have anything else to lose. Appreciate it might be awkward for all involved.

PinPon Fri 24-Feb-17 19:48:06

Probably not that awkward tbh. You're being consistent about wanting to work at that company and it's potentially a role that could lead to a promotion in the future. I'd go for it. Good luck!

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Fri 24-Feb-17 19:50:34

If they promote people internally that is a good thing. SO yes apply, your senior job may come up again in a year or 2

EBearhug Sat 25-Feb-17 01:01:08

My last job was at a company which had previously rejected me. Unless you swore at the interviewer previously, I think it could work in your favour - you clearly want to work for that company.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now