Talk

Advanced search

Retracting pay rise after probation

(11 Posts)
Unhappyemployee Wed 22-Feb-17 23:54:20

Nc'd as outing...so it's long so as not to drip feed I hope.
I have a rather unusual job set up where I am employed by a group of people to basically manage them and ensure they are doing what they need to be doing. My contract (which I believe only one of them, the head of them, has seen to sign it) states that I had a probabtionary period of 6 months for a certain wage, after which it would rise. The amount is not specified in the contract but was verbally discussed to be the amount the previous person in my position was paid upon their leaving.

They have met as a group to discuss my probation and decided they are happy with my performance, I have passed probation and am now a permanent employee. The head of them had told me beforehand that they were going to bring up my new pay as it is their job to do so, it would be discussed if my probation was passed, and that would be that.

I have found out that when pay was brought up, one person decided that I shouldn't have a pay rise for another 6months. They also said that in 6 months is when they should start contributing to my pension. I found this out after the fact so couldn't say anything at the time and am actually extrememly disappointed and feel quite insulted. I have worked my backside off the last few months with very little help as the last person left little to nothing for me to work with. I have basically started from scratch and done basically 3 other people's jobs (that some of them should have been doing) because it was easier for the previous person to just do it themselves and have things tick along smoothly and they had no idea about it! I have brought this to their attention and am trying to get them ready for the things they should be doing but it's very hard. So I have been working very hard and it's quite stressful to be honest.

My workplace pension actually already started anyway, as it had to, so they didn't listen to that when I notified them! But what do I do now? I actually suspect that the person who denied my contractual payrise did so for personal reasons as they wanted something done which I denied them because it would have been unethical and against regulations as it is their job to do and I couldn't justify having it done for them. They aren't happy with it and keep bringing it up...I do wonder if this is why they have instigated this but would be hard to prove. Can I point out what my contract states and insist they fix it, or do I have to suck it up for another 6 months?

prh47bridge Thu 23-Feb-17 08:00:46

The problem you have is that, from what you say, your new salary is not specified in the contract. If it says you will receive an unspecified pay rise on completion of probation they could satisfy that by increasing your salary by a token amount. Do you have any evidence of the amount that was discussed?

The wording of the contract could also be significant. Is it clear that the pay rise is unconditional on satisfactory completion of probation?

HerOtherHalf Thu 23-Feb-17 08:18:10

I would ask for a meeting with the head honcho and explain you are very disappointed the company has chosen to renege on their commitment to you. Don't give any ultimatums but get the point across that loyalty and respect are important motivators for performance. I would also tell them about the other manager trying to get you to do something unethical and the way they've treated you since you refused. If you work in a regulated industry you have ethical responsibilites that are greater than any individual no matter what their pay grade. Whether it makes any difference is anyones guess but you have to fight your corner. I'd also start looking for another job or at least get your head around the possibility you may be looking to move on in the near future. Life is too short to work for people that treat you like shit.

Unhappyemployee Thu 23-Feb-17 08:23:27

Thank you for the reply. Well, to be honest even a token amount would have been fine with me. It's the fact that one person agreed I'd done a good enough job to stay on but for some reason decided that actually I should work another 6 months on the same terms, even though the discussion put forward was not SHOULD there be a raise but how much.

Stupidly I don't have a copy at home so I need to check it when I get in this morning, but I think it's probably very unfortunately worded and quite an informal contract... I think it says "rate of pay is xxx during probation period of 6 months, which will rise after successful completion of probation period." reading up on contracts after the fact, I'm not sure actually it even contains everything it's supposed to but that's because of a whole other issue.

Unhappyemployee Thu 23-Feb-17 08:41:06

HerOtherHalf x posted with you...
I will look at my contract this morning for detail and speak to the head, we actually get on really well and they really pushed for me to apply. The thing is I really love the job. The only other "business" of this kind based in the borough closed last year and there is pressure for this to be a success, which is on me. I want it to be but I just want to feel valued! If I changed jobs leaving this one in the lurch it would be very hard to get something in similar industry without looking like a total failure, it's well known in the circles I would want to move to and it's been quite a step up the ladder for me. But no, I can't work with or for people who won't treat me fairly.

Unhappyemployee Thu 23-Feb-17 08:43:32

Sorry I missed do I have any proof of discussions about the pay rise. No, it was discussed by the four people who interviewed/hired me, but nothing on paper.

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Thu 23-Feb-17 09:13:23

How disappointing. Good advice from HerOtherHalf though. I would flag it up very nicely and say how disappointed you are but be prepared to leave. You have more than fulfilled your side of the bargain and they are now changing the goalposts. It could be a predictor for the future.

Similar happened to me last year. They just couldn't see where I was coming from so I walked away much to their disbelief. If more people did this then companies would be less likely to treat staff poorly.

Unhappyemployee Thu 23-Feb-17 11:26:34

Ok, so contract says "starting salary for this post will be xxx subject to rise after probationary period after approval"
Unfortunately it was explained to me as, subject to rise after probation as long as it's positive and not extended. So probation approved means permanent pay issued. I've taken the wording that way and thought no more of it. I'll bring it up as verbally it wasn't what was discussed and the person who "decided" this hasn't seen my contract and doesn't actually even know the terms...just wish I'd been there to correct some of it at the time.

Unhappyemployee Thu 23-Feb-17 11:28:50

Yorkshire that was brave. It's sad really isn't it? Sometimes there's not much that needs to be done to retain a happy employee.

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Thu 23-Feb-17 13:16:38

I was on contract (35 hours) but they wanted me to go permanent (37.5 hours) for the same money which was effectively a pay cut. Added to that, I was paid/accrued holiday on an hourly basis so earned more if I worked over 35 hours.

I might as well have been talking to a brick wall.... My previously lovely boss stopped talking to me and started acting like a child. He then couldn't work out why I didn't want to stay.

There was no discussion. It was all on their terms. For the sake of a grand or so they would rather go through the recruitment process again rather than come to an agreement with a member of staff who had worked their without a hitch for almost a year.

The logic of some management teams defies belief really.

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Thu 23-Feb-17 13:17:20

worked there not their!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now