Talk

Advanced search

Bank statements for employment gap

(11 Posts)
Foxymagic Wed 22-Feb-17 17:15:09

Hi - I am in the process of going through a pre-employment check. I left my last job via a settlement agreement but did not disclose this to my new employer. I took 7 months off and said I was travelling. I was exhausted by my previous job and just wanted a break. I did not work any other job in that time. They have now asked to see the bank statements covering the 7 months. Although I also find this intrusive, I am worried that a) they will see the settlement agreement deposit and b) that I wasn't doing all that much travelling. If it's simply to check that I wasn't employed elsewhere, can I redact the figures? I have several credit cards and I don't them seeing the figures. Mainly, they will be able to see my entire life and I just feel it is intrusive. Any ideas how I should handle this? Thanks all

MaverickSnoopy Wed 22-Feb-17 17:49:12

In your shoes I would ask what they need to see them for. I would back this up by saying that I would need to order and pay for the statements from the bank and is there a different way of providing the information that they need (which may be faster)?

Not sure what they're looking for though so I don't know if this would flag up any concerns for them. As you say the most likely thing is that they want to see if you were employed during your gap.

Did you say travelling abroad or just travelling. You could say you spent time visiting family in the UK - of which would have been free especially if you didn't spend anything...although you'd need to go through the bank statements to see if this is a realistic statement. I can understand why you are nervous but honesty is best and the truth usually comes out.

Akire Wed 22-Feb-17 17:52:08

What area is it? Could they be worried you have been working for competitive company? You could have done traveling back n forth so bank stammers are not going to show much.
Or they think you have been employed by someone-got sacked and trying hush it up which again easy to prove by showing what went in. But ye I woulnt be happy!

Foxymagic Wed 22-Feb-17 18:10:46

Thanks both. It's a financial firm (not a bank). All they have said is it's to check that I was living off my savings. I'm happy to show them the statements but with the figures blacked out. Even if I didn't receive the settlement payment, I wouldn't be happy to show them the figures because I consider that really personal. They'll be able to see that I like Pizza Express! They will also be able to see that I was transferring money from my savings account into my current account to live on. I just think this is a step too far.

daisychain01 Thu 23-Feb-17 02:20:43

All they have said is it's to check that I was living off my savings

I can understand a finance company wanting to know if your credit rating is sound and no CCJs etc, but they can do an Experion for that. It's none of their business how you financed your lifestyle in that 7 months and I'd say it is really intrusive and inappropriate to see bank statements.

Iflyaway Thu 23-Feb-17 02:25:43

They have now asked to see the bank statements

Is that even legal?!

Fuck that! I've been out of UK for 40 years, never even heard of this being legal here or in fact anyone ever mentioning it.

Aren't bank statements covered by privacy laws? shock

JackandBump Thu 23-Feb-17 02:52:08

This is fairly standard to verify employment gaps when joining FS companies. They will not be interested in your spending or account balances/payments etc. They need documentary proof you were financially active during the period and therefore not in prison!
I'm in HR for a big bank. People often worry about this, statements show overdrafts or extreme shopping habits etc! No one will be looking at this.

Foxymagic Thu 23-Feb-17 07:33:03

Thanks all and thanks JackandBump. As you work in HR, do you think it would be ok for me to black out the figures? I'm sorry but I just don't feel I should reveal this aspect of my life to all and sundry, no matter what they might think. Checking that I wasn't in prison - isn't that what the DSB check is for? Thanks again for all your help.

JackandBump Fri 24-Feb-17 07:36:30

Hello, sorry for disappearing.
Yes that would be fine, just ensure dates and recipient are showing.
It seems intrusive, but banks and FS companies are required to screen to a certain level and must be able to evidence their checks - your gap in employment could be a short period in prison (however unlikely!) and the employer needs to show this has been investigated appropriately. The bank statement proves instantly that you were financially active, and negates the need to conduct a criminal record check.

FruitCider Fri 24-Feb-17 08:33:05

They need documentary proof you were financially active during the period and therefore not in prison!

A dbs could rule this out!

daisychain01 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:35:04

Couldn't the company just gain approval from the OP to contact the bank and ask them to confirm for employment purposes that during period X to Y dates their account was financially active? If it's as binary as Yes this account has a normal level of transactions running through each month, it could decrease the intrusive nature of bank account statements and having to redact the details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now