Talk

Advanced search

Work dilemma - advice needed

(8 Posts)
Upduffered Mon 20-Feb-17 16:02:07

Overview : I work in the hospitality industry for a large company. My contracted role states supervisor yet I am currently acting as manager as the general manager left while they search for a new manager. I am the current boss of the site, yet there has been no written notice of this nor a new contract. I am also on hourly pay. I currently work 45 hours week and have a two year old DD who is in nursery two and a half day a week. I have 70 hours of holiday I cannot take due to staffing levels. I have been able to work as much as I do because DD's father and I are separated and she stays there two days a week.

I am at my wits end. I am working 5 days a week and when I am not working, there is still work to be done ( Rotas/paperwork/ordering etc). I didn't agree to be the manager, it was just put on me. I am exhausted, feeling physically sick at the thought of going to work every day and my anxiety attacks which I have not had for 6 months have returned. I feel like I am compromising myself as a parent by working so much and I never signed up for this in the first place. Am I within my rights to request an hours reduction given I am on a 0 hours contract? What I want to do is work when she is in nursery ( which totals 30 hours a week over 3 days) plus the occasional weekend.

Upduffered Mon 20-Feb-17 18:17:27

Anyone?

Heratnumber7 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:22:04

Are you in a union?
Have you discussed with your manager? (You must report into someone).
Have you discussed with HR?
Have you tried delegating some of the tasks?

Unless you tell someone you're unhappy no one will know you're unhappy.

Jojobythesea Mon 20-Feb-17 18:33:31

Sounds awful. I have no advice but I reckon if you change the heading to go in AIBU you will probably get more help. smile

Upduffered Mon 20-Feb-17 18:44:49

Not in union.

Have spoken to ops manager 2 weeks ago and was told that she's 'working on it' and to just put up with it til then.
I have tried delegating and the one task I have been able to delegate has not been completed so I had to do it anyway.

Heratnumber7 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:38:48

Did anyone ask you to act up when manager left? Or did you just assume the duties? What would happen if you went back to working to rule, just doing your own job desc? Id be popping along to HR or my union i think, or leaving. Or alternatively app!ying for the role on a permanent basis! You've proved you can do it.

troodiedoo Mon 20-Feb-17 19:47:20

Your company are taking the piss but you know that, right. They are taking advantage of your good nature as they know you'll do all these tasks. Unfortunately only you can speak up and put a stop to it. Document everything you're doing, request meetings with anyone senior to discuss it. Worst case scenario quit and claim constructive dismissal (not sure if you can do that on a zero hours though?) Acas website should have some info, think they have a helpline too. Good luck.

flowery Tue 21-Feb-17 03:14:46

"Have spoken to ops manager 2 weeks ago and was told that she's 'working on it' and to just put up with it til then."

Til when? Did she give you a timescale? You need to be firmer. Your contract may say zero hours but it doesn't sound like that's actually what it is. However, as that's what it says you may as well take advantage of that. Presumably there is a clause saying you can decide whether to work any shifts offered to you?

Check the wording carefully and then meet with the ops manager again. Tell her that you are no longer prepared to act up in a more senior role or to take on those additional responsibilities for no extra pay. If she wants you to continue 'acting up' your pay needs to reflect that.

You are also no longer prepared to work so much overtime so will be reverting to the hours you were (presumably) working regularly before this happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now