Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New job, and scared

(11 Posts)
mydshines Sun 19-Feb-17 23:52:28

I can't believe I am writing this after aptitude tests and a very tough interview. I passed. I probably won't be starting work till may. It's a clerical position. The starting salary is OK. At once I pass probation I can apply for unpaid leave
I am so happy. I wanted this job for a very long time.
I'M not particularly interested in career progression. I'm happy that I got the job. But I am scared
It's my first real job. I'm spend every night just thinking about.fitting in
Work , just incredible anxious.
Is this normal.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 19-Feb-17 23:57:43

First of all- Congratulations on your new- and first- job!

What age are you?

It's normal to have some butterflies etc but no need to be scared. If you passed the tests- you're as good as anybody else who works there and nobody is expecting you to be an expert on the first day.

You've got a bit of time to get yourself prepared- any reason for the delayed start date?

And also a question about unpaid leave? Do you not get paid holidays?

antimatter Mon 20-Feb-17 00:00:04

If you want to prepare for it try to learn/refresh your touch typing.

mydshines Mon 20-Feb-17 00:01:35

By the way I was bullied a lot in school. And when I did work experience I was humiliated a few years ago. I don't know where my position will be or which department.
I just have to wait for my number to be called to be allocated my placement.
So I'm stressing out as I'm hoping it be on my bus route. As I don't drive
And if you refus it. You don't get a second chance.
I haven't told anyone about it. As I feel like I don't want to count on my chickens.I can't believe I got the job.

mydshines Mon 20-Feb-17 00:02:44

It's the Irish civil service.

mydshines Mon 20-Feb-17 00:04:13

You do get holidays but I have family in new Zealand. So I can use up to 13 weeks unpaid leave.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 20-Feb-17 00:06:36

oh that's good. I have family in NZ too and it is a nightmare trying to get time off to see them. That sounds great!

Working in civil service is good, they tend to have HR depts who are on the ball. If you have any issues you take it to them.

School etc was in the past. You are a different person now and the teenage hormones mean that people are a bit less shit. Plus it's not acceptable in a professional environment. You'll still meet horrible people, but just go in and do your job well. Nobody can take issue with that.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 20-Feb-17 00:07:17

If you've potentially got until may could you squeeze in a couple of driving lessons? It might be a really good investment and take a bit of stress away later on.

mydshines Mon 20-Feb-17 00:16:57

Thanks. I get about 370 after tax. I don't no I find the possibility of 9.5 working everyday very daunting. It's been years since I was employed and I hated it.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 20-Feb-17 00:19:27

It is daunting and you'll be knackered. If your sleep patterns are funny i'd be trying to train them now.

And we've all had jobs that we hated, but this is a whole fresh new start. You could meet some really lovely people. New social circle. Learn new skills. Who knows!?

Obsidian77 Mon 20-Feb-17 00:23:41

Well done on getting the job. They picked you because they believe in you. Like Jeremy says, you're working with grown-ups. Don't build barriers in your head before you start.
If you're prone to anxiety, can you talk to your GP, or friends or family you trust, to build your confidence before May?
When you do get your start date, please update your thread or start a new one so you can get lots of lovely MN support. flowers. Best wishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now