Talk

Advanced search

Is it Possible to Remain in Job Role After Whistleblowing?

(8 Posts)
worriedworker85 Sun 19-Feb-17 21:48:38

As above really...

Is it actually possible?

BrownEyedLady Sun 19-Feb-17 21:53:20

Depends on what you were whistle blowing. If it was against the company itself and they don't and can't possibly know nit was you, then yes. If it was against a person in the org then again yes, if they have a good anti-retaliation policy. All depends on the situation you're in.

MichaelSheensNextDW Sun 19-Feb-17 21:55:26

Frequently no, because a whistleblower usually highlights managerial malpractice and/or incompetence. HR then understandably regard the working relationship between whistleblower and manager to be irretrievably fractured.
Sometimes yes, if the whistleblower and investigators are scrupulously discreet, and the offending person is dismissed or redeployed.
PCAW is a more useful source of robust guidance and support than the unions.

daisychain01 Mon 20-Feb-17 09:50:59

MichaelSheens is the PCaW only applicable to public sector or does it cover private sector/industry? Thanks.

ggirl Mon 20-Feb-17 09:57:13

I was a whistleblower a long time ago in nursing , not in this country .
I was not able to stay and work afterwards as the person I blew the whistle on was still there and made my working life hell .
Management asked me to consider staying but other than that they were unsupportive so I left.

This was in the 80's and not in UK so I would hope it would be handled better now .

disappearingfish Mon 20-Feb-17 10:12:28

I don't mean to be patronising but are you absolutely sure it's whistleblowing and not a grievance? Sometimes people get the two mixed up.

And I agree with the others, people usually don't stay.

flowery Mon 20-Feb-17 12:32:14

Absolutely it's possible, yes. But that would depend on things like the nature of the concern being raised, how widespread it is, what level of management are involved, size of the organisation (and capacity to redeploy people), what the outcome of the whistleblowing is in terms of resolving the issue, that type of thing.

MichaelSheensNextDW Tue 21-Feb-17 21:23:37

daisychain01 PCaW advice and support relates to anyone working in any UK employment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now