Talk

Advanced search

Vetting and son's new job

(19 Posts)
toconclude Sun 19-Feb-17 09:52:53

Good news from son who has found a new job - been looking for a while as he's unhappy and underpaid where he is.
However - the post is subject to vetting due to being a subcontractor for govt work and although he has no criminal record or dodgy political activities, he has a colourful private life - bisexual BDSM polyamorous with a trans civil partner. Everyone in his life (as far as I know) knows all about this as he is very upfront and I'm sure if anyone tried to blackmail him he'd tell them to piss off and get a life.
The job is entirely UK based so he would not have to travel to any countries with illiberal views.
His social media presence is locked down.
However I'm equally sure that this will not be looked at with any favour and despite all the assurances on the gov.uk website about "we won't be shocked etc etc" I'm very worried they will assume the worst and despite all the equalities disclaimers it will be hard to prove that's what they are doing.
He really wants this job and thinks that as long as he has shown no criminal or politically revolutionary leanings all will be fine.
However his partner [they share a double -barrelled surname since the CP in 2012) holds (in conversation with me) some very left/anarchist views and is not so good at social media blocks from what I've seen. Could that scupper it? He's already told current job he's had the offer due to notice requirements.
Really worried.

IamNotDarling Sun 19-Feb-17 10:08:04

No, it won't be a problem at all. There are different levels of vetting. Developed vetting is about if you can be blackmailed or pose a risk to national security. If he is completely honest about everything and I mean everything and his friends/family who are interviewed are also completely honest then he'll be fine and approved.

My friend was developed vetted last year has a colourful past and non-mainstream sexual preferences but whilst he said the interview was intense, it wasn't uncomfortable and the chap who did it was incredibly professional and non-judgmental. Our friends who were his references said it was an okay experience for them too (his flatmate and a lifelong friend).

Counterterrorism checking (CTC) is less intense and people are not routinely interviewed.

toconclude Sun 19-Feb-17 10:21:32

What about the partner's views? As far as I know they have not advocated the violent overthrow of the state out loud (jokey revolutionary giant chess reference notwithstanding - setting up all the pawns on one side and named pieces on the other, bowling with one of the pawns and quoting "you have nothing to lose but your chains" from Marx which I actually thought was pretty funny.) But they are very critical of the established order.

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Sun 19-Feb-17 11:07:30

What job is it?

If it's a bog standard job then it will just be a baseline security check which doesn't involve an interview. They just check you are who you say you are, check your credit record, if you have a criminal record (you won't pass if you have one) and your probably your social media. If you've been on holiday to Pakistan for four weeks they'll want to check you weren't in a training camp....

I don't think his sexual orientation will be of concern. He does need to be transparent about everything though.

toconclude Sun 19-Feb-17 11:26:49

Data management/IT. He said it's subject to vetting.

RyanStartedTheFire Sun 19-Feb-17 11:43:36

Honesty, complete honesty and he'll be fine. The only real issue would be if partner was a potential security threat, say being from a nation that would be actively seeking information. Just be honest. I know of people with DV that have very dodgy pasts/debt but they were honest and it's fine.

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Sun 19-Feb-17 11:48:38

Baseline security check I should think.

I worked for a defence company as PA to a Director. That's the vetting check I had. My boss was the next security level up and had the interview I think but his job involved travelling overseas and meeting foreign dignataries, doing 'deals', etc. He knew of someone who went through top level clearance and that involved interviewing members of his friends and family.

I don't think your son has too much to worry about.

katand2kits Sun 19-Feb-17 11:49:13

The reason for this enhanced vetting is that if your employers already know all this colourful stuff, you can't be blackmailed about it. It is important to be completely honest, and for his referees to be told to do the same.

toconclude Sun 19-Feb-17 12:13:36

His partner is a British citizen and white English/born here as are all the other people in their poly group - all of whom know about each other as that's the poly way.

daisychain01 Sun 19-Feb-17 13:23:29

Can your DS change his account name as shown on social media so it is completely disassociated to his partner's name on social media eg LinkedIn Facebook etc. It they share the same double barrel name it will be very distinctive.

It just creates a degree of separation that can be helpful at times like this, so employers don't judge him by the views of his partner.

RaingodsWithZippos Sun 19-Feb-17 13:31:06

I don't think it will be a problem. I had developed vetting for a role at No 10. My brother in law was in prison for attempted murder, my own politics are extremely critical of the current administration. It was fine, the only issue they had was a previous debt problem that had been resolved - they really aren't interested in sexual pasts, they are more worried about susceptibility to bribes and so that is why finances are scrutinised but if you are totally honest it is fine.

toconclude Sun 19-Feb-17 15:45:33

daisychain it's not DS who is visible on social media, his partner however uses their joint Real Name for all accounts, DS apart from FB which he has locked down against casual enquirers (ask me how I know, snoopy mum lol) has accounts in pseuds for gaming [computer games not gambling I hasten to add] etc.

I just went and checked and actually partner I see has toned down their refs to fringe left politics on visible accounts since becoming a freelance professional [coughandgrowingupcough].

His finances are in ok shape, he was careful to build a good credit score and not wreck it as rental agents and landlords are very picky in his area and demand proof you can pay for months together.

Do hope will be OK, this is the chance to break free from shitty pay and micro-manager boss who thinks he knows the tech side of things better than DS and doesn't. And will make is easier for partner to keep in touch with friends in nearer big city.

exLtEveDallas Sun 19-Feb-17 15:51:29

I have held developed vetting twice. The first time I had a 'known' relative, but was told it wasn't a barrier (and trust me, it came as a complete shock to find out about him). The second time the relative was no longer a relative (divorce & death) - they still checked him out but I was fine again.

NerrSnerr Sun 19-Feb-17 15:58:53

Daisy for enhanced vetting the partner would have to be declared anyway and any views that are deemed to be extreme declared too.
If you don't do this they won't give you the job- and they will find out. It's often ex police doing the vetting and they enjoy the investigation.

Just be weary of how much you share on the internet OP. It would almost certainly be ok but I know some jobs it'd be really frowned upon as forums like Mumsnet are not exactly anonymous if you know what you're doing.

Graphista Sun 19-Feb-17 16:06:42

Nah he'll be fine! I'm army family ex army too this was part of his job.

Complete honesty and he'll be fine.

I've been member of various political organisations, (some of which dad didn't approve of) members of family are related to northern Irish politicians and people involved in various groups on both sides of the Irish conflict (and dad joined up in '73!!) he declared it all, it was fine.

It's when people try and hide stuff they get concerned. So DON'T.

toconclude Sun 19-Feb-17 19:24:02

NerrSnerr your comment has freaked me somewhat so considered asking HQ to delete - they said report back here first to let folk know. Have had bad experiences with certain people in authority despite being utterly law abiding middle class so not giving them any chance to come knocking:
Unless that's hiding something and would be seen as suspicious? Serious question.
God, you can't win.

NerrSnerr Sun 19-Feb-17 19:54:42

Sorry- I am probably hugely over cautious. It wouldn't be classed as hiding something- they are not looking to catch him out and look for bad stuff. They want to know everything so that if if someone does try and bribe him in the future they can support him the best they can.

Laurendisorder Sun 19-Feb-17 19:54:43

What level of vetting is required? Check on the Gov't site as it sets the three levels out - only DV is very very intrusive! As someone has said complete openness is what is required - I worked with a lot of characters and the only ones who had problems with their DV interviews tended to have links to debt issues and / or certain country links. Wide internet access and social media has changed things a bit though!! No reason for your DS not to go through the process and be completely honest - if sexual preference was an issue a lot more would fail!

sundaybestest Mon 20-Feb-17 15:52:32

He'll be absolutely fine.
Have a read of this:
gds.blog.gov.uk/2016/09/28/being-transgender-at-gds/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now