Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Doctors specialising in cardiology

(6 Posts)
Badgoushk Sat 18-Feb-17 15:21:34

I'm an F2 seriously considering specialising in cardiology. I have 2 young children and a very supportive non-medic husband.
Are you are cardiology consultant or trainee?
Would you recommend it? Is the fact that it's very male dominated an issue for you?
I'm interested in all good/bad experiences please!

Hotbot Sat 18-Feb-17 16:44:17

Not a cardiologist but work with them . Pick your speciality carefully , for example echocardiogram has slightly better hrs than interventionalists, I know. A cardiologist who has been able to go part time . Skills are short so you are also likely to be able to negotiate good contract once at consultant level . The actual training form what I have witnessed it a proper hard slog ,with lots of sub specialties

Hotbot Sat 18-Feb-17 16:45:01

sory should have read as echo cardiologist

Badgoushk Sat 18-Feb-17 20:48:03

Thanks Hotbot. Wise words! I know some of the subspecialties involve a lot of out of hours work. I think imaging has good work life balance but unfortunately for me it's the area I'm least interested in!
The NHS seems pretty good at allowing less than full time far!
Only 13% of cardiology consultants are female and 21% of cardiology trainees. The powers that be need to make it a viable option for women to get those numbers up!

CountessOfStrathearn Fri 24-Feb-17 21:21:21

Are you a member of DNUK? You'll be able to find some cardiologists to ask. The other thing is to see if any local consultants/SpRs are willing to chat and mentor you.

Badgoushk Sun 26-Feb-17 20:48:19

I'm not but I should join up CountessOfStrathearn. Thanks for the tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now