loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recruitment agencies.

(14 Posts)
FreeNiki Tue 14-Feb-17 16:26:37

Is it me or are they abysmal?

Koalafications Tue 14-Feb-17 18:37:08

DH was just saying the same thing to me, OP.

I'm sure they aren't all awful, though.

boredwithabrokenfinger Tue 14-Feb-17 19:24:07

Yes, I avoid where possible.

FreeNiki Tue 14-Feb-17 19:44:32

Even the better ones though. They still string you along, dont update you and dont volunteer suitable vacancies.

I have discovered after calling the employers directly I was not actually put forward for 2 jobs they said they had entered me for. If they werent going to bother I would have appliedl my damn self!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 14-Feb-17 20:05:14

I've just dealt with a pretty good one, they offered me the job. He was good at keeping me up-to-date.

My one gripe would be that he'd call and ask lots of questions; making me worry that I'd not been successful and he was going to brutally tell me after asking me if I thought it went well, when actually after 30m intensive questioning he'd reveal that they did want an interview/second interview/whatever.

Overall he was good. I think.

REALLY poor that they didn't put you forward for the jobs though. You'd at least expect them to tell you that they'd changed their minds and why, so you could go ahead yourself if you wanted too.

FreeNiki Tue 14-Feb-17 20:13:51

I think one of them forgot. I chased him about my application and he didnt remember. I reminded him....so he "chased it" & said I hadnt got an interview.

I rang the company and they never got my application.

Glossolalia Tue 14-Feb-17 20:43:26

They are a bit like car sales people and estate agents, they haven't got the best reputation and, in my experience, most live up to the reputation.

boredwithabrokenfinger Tue 14-Feb-17 22:03:32

I always apply directly if I can. I will always do a bit of googling to see if I can work out the company.

Sugarlumps333 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:06:49

Avoid where possible. Seriously - why should they get paid to find you a job when you can apply directly. Some jobs are not listed for open applicants but many are now, used recruitment agents a lot when i was younger before i cottoned on that they were mostly all snakes. One guy told me i hadn't got x job because i was too pretty and the guy doing interview thought i would be a distraction in a male finance office. CREEP / taking the pis*

witchmountain Tue 14-Feb-17 22:13:09

Yup, as bad as estate agents in many cases. I never realised quite how bad they were until I was in a new company and periodically ex-colleagues would contact me about an alleged vacancy in my team that a recruitment consultant had contacted them about. The vacancy definitely did not exist and nor were doing any kind of talent pooling exercise (where you approach candidates speculatively with the aim of - openly - lining up potential candidates for the future)!

They can be useful and I have used them in the past as an applicant and hiring manager, but don't believe anything they say unless you've built a decent relationship with one.

FreeNiki Tue 14-Feb-17 23:45:11

I find it hard to build a relationship with any of them as they put you forward for something and never come back to you about anything else.

Hoppinggreen Wed 15-Feb-17 08:04:43

Most are terrible but you need to remember that they are basically very hardcore target driven sales people. I've been in Sales for years and it's too high pressure for me.
Targets are high and senior management can be very very hard on employees - it's quite easy to get an entry level job as one because if you don't bring in enough business quickly they will just get rid of you.
I have recently been dealing with some and although some were rubbish a couple were really really good

EBearhug Wed 15-Feb-17 08:14:44

I've had a couple of good ones over the years, but most are mediocre to bad, and one lied and put stuff on my CV I don't have, which lead to me sitting in an interview saying, "no, I have no experience of this, and I did not put it in my CV." It was a key skill for the job, so it was wasting my and the employer's time to interview me. If I had known in advance, I could have done some cramming and possibly blagged it, but it's not something I am particularly keen on becoming knowledgeable in, so I would have probably just said, this isn't the job for me. But I really didn't appreciate the whole situation.

If you get a good one, it's great, but they're rarer than they should be.

Popskipiekin Wed 15-Feb-17 08:21:07

A friend used to work for a very big recruitment firm. An excellent candidate had been made offers for all 4 jobs he had put her forward for, but the one she really wanted didn't pay as much as the rest (so the commission for the agency would be less if she accepted that role). My friend was about to ring her up to tell her the good news about her multiple offers but was stopped by his manager who instructed to only pass on the offer for the highest paid job. My friend resigned that day. Absolute sharks the lot of 'em.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now