Talk

Advanced search

Help me word a 'I didn't want your stupid job anyway' email

(25 Posts)
originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 11:13:42

I went for an interview - it's me and someone else in the running.

All ok but comments made about 'our age', length of my CV (because I have sooooo many years experience), why the other person is a good candidate (very young and eager), etc etc. Definitely feeling like an old bird by the time I left, so strongly suspect they thought I was too old and will plump for the whippersnapper.

I feel the urge to put something in writing when they tell me 'hard choice, kid had the edge, you're too experienced and will find something better, bla bla bla'.

Now 'fuck off' is just a little too pithy. I'm feeling rather pissed off actually. And old!

Fridayschild Tue 14-Feb-17 11:20:30

Put it in writing. And then put it in the bin.

Unless you are actually going to sue for age discrimination, a letter like that gets you nothing. It won't change the outcome. It won't make that company offer you the job in two months time when they discover that Young And Eager can't do what was promised.

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 11:22:48

Wouldn't it just be satisfying (for a whole ten seconds) though?

FauxFox Tue 14-Feb-17 11:26:20

I had an interview like that...I asked them why they had invited me since they obviously thought I was not right for the roll hmm that flummoxed them grin

You know they will probably offer you the job though and then you will have to agonise about whether you can face working with/for these people grin

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 11:27:27

Oh I don't know. If that's what they are like at the interview they must be a right shower of bastards!

Fridayschild Tue 14-Feb-17 11:27:44

Yes.

That's the ten seconds before it goes into the bin though!

DS recommends burning things. He says it works with homework and can't see why it wouldn't work with a letter. I am off to get some professional help...

boredwithabrokenfinger Tue 14-Feb-17 12:18:38

It's tempting but don't do it otherwise they will think you are a loon.

I was the whippersnapper for a long time. Having no kids and looking young certainly helped but the tables have turned and similar happened to me before Christmas. Difference is I was in the job and pushed aside by gorgeous 'young graduate'.

Luckily, it was a contract job which came to an end. There is every possibility I will be asked back at some stage this year. What they don't realise is that I don't particularly want to be working for a company that values beauty over experience and, yes, I have the same sodding degree anyway!

boredwithabrokenfinger Tue 14-Feb-17 12:19:53

Just out of interest, what type of job is it?

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 12:20:28

I know - It's just a bit of a knock when it first happens though, isn't it?

hesterton Tue 14-Feb-17 12:25:18

But maybe he other candidate is better suited and they are trying to find a way to say that through the wrong means. Just because someone is older and more experienced doesn't mean they are necessarily better for a job. It may be that the other candidate has a higher level of characteristics they want for that specific role like growth mindset or humility. There is more focus on the right personality for a job these days following extensive research that shows fitting into a corporate ethos leads to a higher chance of employee recruitment success than experience and qualifications in an industry.

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 12:28:04

I know the industry well and have done all aspects of the job. The other candidate is fresh out of college apparently.

boredwithabrokenfinger Tue 14-Feb-17 13:00:19

I left a job a few years ago and helped to find my replacement.

Me and HR Business Partner both agreed that the older woman in her 50s was most suitable. My boss wanted the younger blonde 20 something. She didn't get through the process as one of her references (her boyfriend?!) had a criminal record (company was defence related).

Young temp came in for three months and they had to get rid of her as she was useless.

Attractive brunette 20 something came in on a permanent. Nice girl but was off sick half the time. They made her redundant two years later due to sickness/ineffectiveness (not that she knew that).

I still see that boss. Oh, how we laugh about it... When I worked for him, he always used to say I knew best... grin

boredwithabrokenfinger Tue 14-Feb-17 13:02:44

mavis, you have had a lucky escape. Just be grateful they have shown their colours now.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 14-Feb-17 13:03:09

They are nore excited about the you ger person with less experience because they can pay them less.

originalbiglymavis Tue 14-Feb-17 13:07:24

Feh. What is I'm just too old though? I don't want a high flying job anymore - I don't need the bloody stress and aggro if managing a department and staff!

MaybeDoctor Tue 14-Feb-17 13:26:02

I knew someone who wrote a letter like that, posted it and was then offered the job.

He had to go down to the sorting office and beg the manager to give it back to him. grin

boredwithabrokenfinger Tue 14-Feb-17 13:48:54

I think a younger person will put up with more crap for lower pay.

I'd just let it go and look for something more suitable. Who cares what they think?

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 14-Feb-17 15:10:41

Don't do it.

Something else may come up shortly after and they may remember you and get back to you. Also the other candidate may let them down and they may come back to you.

You may end up working somewhere else and one of the interviewers may join that firm as your manager and remember you as being unprofessional!!

Just not worth it. Have a glass of wine/bar of chocolate/insert own vice here instead!

ChuckSnowballs Wed 15-Feb-17 23:02:04

'Thank you for the feedback, It was expected as I was aware during the interview that I was out of your league.'

Only don't actually send it! Just believe it.

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 15-Feb-17 23:14:23

Sounds like blatant age discrimination to me!!

Astro55 Wed 15-Feb-17 23:21:18

I can't believe they discussed the other candidate with you! So unprofessional!

originalbiglymavis Thu 16-Feb-17 15:15:35

That was one of the things that put me off - a bit gossipy!

TreeTop7 Sat 18-Feb-17 00:01:20

I've heard of the opposite thing happening i.e. the fecund candidate loses out because they're worried about her buggering off on maternity leave....

whirlygirly Sat 25-Feb-17 20:46:13

Don't do it. I got one of these once. We thought he was a loon..

Longdistance Sat 25-Feb-17 21:04:58

That's not the sort of place I'd want to work.

Discussing another candidate is unprofessional.

Talking about your age, is age discrimination.

I do interviews, and would do neither of the above.

I wouldn't give them the satisfaction or a second glance to bother writing a letter.

The younger candidate would probably last 2 minutes in the job anyway.

What 'type' of job was it for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now