Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New Colleague Trying to Tell me What to Do

(33 Posts)
mooneus Sat 11-Feb-17 17:55:16

So a new guy has started working in my office recently. At first he seemed cool and really enthusiastic. However recently he's been trying to tell me what to do. He is just fresh out of uni, while I have been working in this type of job for 6 years I know he is trying to be helpful but now he is just annoying. It started with him suggesting I do these very basic things, but he seems to forget I've been doing this job for so long, whatever he suggests to me I've already done or thought about. But I didn't think much of what he said.

However this week he sent me an email trying out point out faults with my work. They weren't faults, it's just because he's new he doesn't totally understand how the company operates. When I explained that to him in a very diplomatic way, he replied with 'when you produce new stuff, can you send it to me so I can check it'.

Check it?? He's barely in the job and wants to check my work? It isn't his job to do that! What's more is that he isn't even in my team. I spoke to someone who works alongside him in his team and she said she is having difficulties with him too. She said he has undermined her too, when she told him one of his ideas wouldn't work. He went above her head.

He really needs to chill out, take a step back and not be so eager to impress. I think he also needs a lesson in how to be a team player - cos if he carries on like this no one will like him.

But my dilemma is do I do nothing, tell him directly he's too eager or say something to my line manager or his line manager.

Any advice welcome

Obsidian77 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:00:08

Speak to both your line manager and his line manager, this needs to be knocked on the head.

SignoraStronza Sat 11-Feb-17 18:01:42

I've encountered this type before op. Could it be that he has a relevant degree (my nemesis was fresh from graduating in travel and tourism, whereas I'd been doing the job for quite a few years but straight from sixth form) and now thinks he knows it all?
Easier said than done, but just be bright, breezy, vague, dismissive and terribly busy next time he appears and tries to impart his superior knowledge.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sat 11-Feb-17 18:01:46

tell him straight to his face - "it's ok, I wasn't asking for your help, I don't need it. But if you ever need any help just let me know" and repeat and repeat.

The comment about checking work I would have laughed at him and forwarded it my line manager asking if he was for real. After 6 years you must have built strong enough relationships to be able to ask wtf??

Bless him, he is just an eager beaver but you are right that he needs to be told, it won't do him any long run favours.

Good luck!

TheOnlyColditz Sat 11-Feb-17 18:04:16

Squash him. He's trying to get himself a promotion by acting like he's the boss. I'd be sending him a firm, bullet point email along these lines.

"1. I am not going to send you my work so you can check it, you have no proven competency in my area of work

2. Kindly stop sending me emails with instructions, they have not been requested and are not needed from a junior staff member

3. Your input is valuable, however it is not more valuable than everyone else's years of experience, I would advise that you adjust your expectations.

mouldycheesefan Sat 11-Feb-17 18:08:25

Don't email him that's childish and inappropriate. Taken out of context it would reflect badly in you. I work in hr I would cringe if someone sent that email to a newbie and it could be deemed to be bullying.
Speak to his manager and suggest that newbie needs a bit more of a steer.

DianaMitford Sat 11-Feb-17 18:08:46

Oh gosh, how infuriating! I think Colditz's email is perfect. Send that and copy in your line manager and his line manager. Good luck! Let us know what he says.....

Sparkletastic Sat 11-Feb-17 18:09:10

Yup - talk to your manager and / or his manager.

mooneus Sat 11-Feb-17 18:15:02

I think I'm going to wait until the next time he says something. Also, I am a bit worried that the managers will think that I'm not being very open to new suggestions

BIWI Sat 11-Feb-17 18:16:56

Don't email him. Deal with him face-to-face next time he says anything like that. Just be straight. "Thanks for offering, but I've been here for 6 years, I really do know what I'm doing!"

slightlyglitterbrained Sat 11-Feb-17 18:20:40

His manager needs to know. FWIW, to his face I'd suggest just breezily saying what DontStealMyThread suggested "it's ok, I wasn't asking for your help, I don't need it. But if you ever need any help just let me know"

I've had a very smart and capable young grad work for me. He was bright, but put people's backs up by coming across as arrogant and not accepting that people might be basing their judgments on experience he didn't yet have (and then got frustrated because people started tuning him out). It's part of learning how to work with people that shocks some young first jobbers, and it's down to his manager to support him in this. She or he needs to know and I would tell her/him now that you've noticed he seems to be on a path to antagonising colleagues which won't help him in the long run.

Janey50 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:24:25

He sounds like a cheeky sod. I would just tell him straight that I've been there for x number of years,I know what I'm doing so I don't need you to check my work thanks!

BarFlyInThePeanuts Sat 11-Feb-17 18:25:46

Another view,maybe he actually wanted to help and show his knowledge but didn't have the social knowledge/tact to couchnit with "I know you have probably already thought of this but maybe we could.."
and the checking thing, maybe he meant so he could go over it fir himself so he didn't miss anything and was up to speed?

Maybe! Maybe not! Just a thought!

mooneus Sat 11-Feb-17 18:28:04

BarFlyInThePeanuts - potentially, I feel bad saying something because I know he's only trying to help, but he's going to complete wrong way about it. maybe he did just want to check it for himself, but then again it's not his area to do that, he should be getting on with his own tasks.

ElspethFlashman Sat 11-Feb-17 18:33:57

But I think that's exactly how you should explain it to his LM.

That you worry that he'll give the wrong impression and just thought they should know he might be at risk of alienating people with his forceful personality.

ImaginaryCat Sat 11-Feb-17 19:07:32

Ooh, we had one of these, except she'd been in a similar job for a while but in a very different industry. Kept trying to tell us all how to do our jobs differently, never taking on board our feedback as to why that wasn't appropriate for our client base.
She lasted 6 months, pissed off pretty much everyone, then graciously agreed with management that the role wasn't a good fit for her!
Just give him enough rope.... if he doesn't get self aware pretty sharpish eventually he'll make a twattish patronising suggestion to a manager with the authority to boot his arse out the door.

mooneus Sat 11-Feb-17 19:32:29

He's already done things to piss off his manager. The other day she was sorting stuff out on our department intranet. She purposely said out loud 'nobody add anything else in until I've sorted it out'. A few minutes later he added something in, and she said 'I told you not to put stuff in'

fuckingwall Sat 11-Feb-17 19:40:46

Ask his manager to clarify his role and responsibilities for him.

boredwithabrokenfinger Sat 11-Feb-17 19:56:07

I find that the confused response works well. So........

HIM: In future, would you send that report so I can check it?
YOU: Why would you need to check it? (puzzled expression)
HIM: Because there was a problem with x y z
YOU: But I've been doing that report for four years now so I don't really understand what you're saying
HIM: Well, x y z wasn't right
YOU: What makes you think that?
HIM: Because I wouldn't have done it that way
YOU: Well, I've been doing it like that every month for the last four years. It goes into the Board Pack so if there was a problem with it I'm sure one of SMT would let me know.

I'd use the stance of pretending not to understand what he is saying rather than getting arsey.

mooneus Sat 11-Feb-17 21:14:13

Thanks for the responses guys. I think the general consensus is to speak with his Line Manager.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sat 11-Feb-17 21:48:47

Don't speak to his line manager speak to yours! If you speak to his then they will speak to yours and if yours know nothing about it you willl make them look like they don't know what's going on with their team and turn things in the wrong light for yourself.

Speak to your LM and offer to forward the emails on. Let them know you are bemoused, appreciate he is eager and ask them how they think it would be best dealt with by you nipping it in the bud (i.e., not causing them to need to get involved at this stage because you are capable on their behalf with their backing.

6yrs vs grad holds a lot of weight, have more confidence in yourself flowers

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sat 11-Feb-17 21:50:04

*bemused - my iPad loves making up new words blush

gandalf456 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:54:57

I get this with training people sometimes. They think they're so good, they can do your job better and start questioning everything. Like you, I find it intensely irritating and insulting, really - as if they're saying I'm thick.

However, mostly, they settle down after the enthusiasm fades and that, actually, if you did everything the way they suggested, you would not get anything done.

I do sometimes feel like asking my manager to put such trainees with someone else. I just want someone to smile meekly and get on with their work. It's a big company and, if they don't listen to me, they sure as hell aren't going to listen to them either.

mooneus Wed 15-Feb-17 21:01:24

So this colleague has now been sacked.

TooTiredToBeCreative Wed 15-Feb-17 21:04:28

What happened?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now