Advanced search

Tax return help!

(7 Posts)
alazuli Sat 11-Feb-17 00:26:31

Sorry not sure if this should go in money or here. I'm filling in my self assessment form (got an extension from HMRC). I'm employed but do freelance work on the side. In the tax year my freelance earnings only came to £1,400 yet it says I owe them £160. Does that sound right to you? I'm sure last time I owed nothing with a similar amount...

AlexanderHamilton Sat 11-Feb-17 00:30:17

Depends what your employed earnings & your employed tax code is.

alazuli Sat 11-Feb-17 00:31:37

Mmm, guess I'll give them a call to find out.

JustFuckingReally Sat 11-Feb-17 00:33:32

Don't you have your P60 to check?

AprilShowers16 Sat 11-Feb-17 00:34:17

If you earnt over the threshold in your main job (usually around £10k? I think) then you'll have to pay tax on anything you earn over that including your freelance work. I think your tax code is usually on your pay slip or p60

AlexanderHamilton Sat 11-Feb-17 00:34:21

You need to enter your p60 info on your self assessment form.

alazuli Sat 11-Feb-17 00:45:27

OK, I'm a dumb dumb. I thought freelance earnings was separate to earnings from my main job. That makes sense now. Thanks guys!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: