Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy help

(16 Posts)
GentleOnMyMind Fri 10-Feb-17 00:33:54

Hi I was wondering if anyone can advise, will try to give as much information as possible, sorry if it's long. Today I found out I am being made redundant, I was called to a meeting with my manager and was handed a new job description for an alternative role, on the assumption I would start the new job with immediate effect.

The problem is the new role would be a demotion for me. They have tried to talk it up but as it is an existing role I have a true idea of what it entails. I also know that the person currently doing that job came from a completely different field and trained on the job. I have a degree in the industry I work in. To complicate matters slightly, I applied for a different job in a different department last month which required a specific qualification, which I hold and I met most of the "desired" criteria. Nobody has been appointed or interviewed for this job opportunity yet.

I asked my manager what would happen if I decide not to go with the alternative job offer. He had not planned on this and said he would need to speak to HR. Someone from HR has since been in touch and told me to consider the new job overnight and we will discuss tomorrow. It seemed they hadn't been briefed about this at all as my manager assumed I would take it.

This is quite unusual for my work place as usually when there is a redundancy the employee attends a meeting with HR and their manager and they receive a written proposal outlining all their options eg a new role/option of a four week trial/details of a redundancy package. I may get this tomorrow. I suppose I just wonder if I decide not to take the job offered, would this mean I am effectively terminating my contract?

I understand why my existing role is coming to an end but I don't believe the job on offer is the only other role available. It is a fairly big company with many departments. I don't feel this role is the best use of my experience and skills. What can I do?

daisychain01 Fri 10-Feb-17 06:23:26

Could you push the company to make a quick decision regarding the new job opportunity that you applied for? Most companies have a policy of favouring Applicants faced with redundancy. Seems an ideal solution because you get the role you want, presumably at the pay you want, rather than being forced to accept an inferior role.

In any case, they need to give you a clear idea of the consultation period which is a legal requirement for redundancies. This gives you a set amount of time to consider various options. They can't just railroad you into making such a quick decision. But they are probably trying it on!

Fozzleyplum Fri 10-Feb-17 06:28:28

The employer can require you to take the new role as an alternative to redundancy if it is an equivalent job-pay, hours, suitability, status. If it's not, they can offer it to you, but you wouldn't lose redundancy pay by turning it down.
Note that if you have fewer than about 2 years' continyous employment with the employer, your rights are usually fewer.

GentleOnMyMind Fri 10-Feb-17 11:15:06

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I had a meeting with hr and manager, they are arguing that it is a reasonable offer as the new role is the same department, same hours and I can continue with no change to pay. I asked them if their are any other options available to me or is it a case of take the new role or resign, they said they haven't explored any other possibilities and they aren't sure if redundancy is an option as they have provided an alternative they deem reasonable. Another meeting is scheduled for next week. I asked about the other role I applied for in January, I was told I have been short listed but the process is on going.

GentleOnMyMind Fri 10-Feb-17 11:16:37

*there not their blush

daisychain01 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:50:24

Just be aware that they are unlikely to be able to get away with reducing your salary if you accept the alternative role but it could be a dumbed Down role description so your future earning potential and career progression may be stunted in future years in that role.

That said if you have been at the company some years and are on a good overall package you may feel prepared to take the hit, accept this role to maintain service continuity and keep looking for new internal promotion opportunities

GentleOnMyMind Fri 10-Feb-17 12:07:44

Yes that is another point I mentioned Daisy, there is very little opportunity to progress in the new role on offer. They just argue thats how you see it/that's how you feel. I have asked if there would be the option of a 4 week trial, they said they would have to look into it. I was thinking if I was offered a trial with the option of redundancy at the end it would buy me some time to look elsewhere. There is a real sense of urgency around filling this role. They have said they don't really have time to advertise, they hoped I would start immediately.

MummySara Fri 10-Feb-17 12:33:50

Hi, I have gone through redundancy first hand and can share my experience.

My dept. was brought out by one of our competitors in the market that happen to have a based outside the UK. They effectively brought our clients and not the staff. This was a true redundancy.
- I was informed my role was at risk of redundancy in a meeting and present were HR and my line manager. I was asked was there any thing that I can think of to avoid risk of redundancy....I think here they were hoping I would say-go part time, lower pay, job in another dept, but I was soo emotional and took it personally that I shouted well you tell me!!! I was on maternity leave at the time, so hormones didn't help.
- I suggested I would consider applying to other roles and was provided a list of all the vacancies that were available. There were only 4, of which only one I would say I was qualified to do, but it meant that I had to cut maternity leave short to start it so, so I just said I wasn't interested.
- At this point I was told by the HR person she would like to talk to be without "used some legal jardon". I had to either either or disagree and she listed my package.
- I had a work history of 10 years with them and literally within 5 days of my mat leave, so was just panicking about mat pay, should I sue, it was just a lot of stress at such a bad time. They were planned rounds after me, so they could have waited, but decided that I was probably an easier one to get rid of because I was on leave.

My advise would be is, how do you feel about the redundancy, if you understand the reason and saw it coming are you hoping for a payout to leave or do you really want to stay? Is there another role that you saw advertised that you are interested in? If so mention it. It sounds like they are trying to find an alternative position, and if it is the same salary and corporate level would that in their eyes mean a resignation on your part if you refuse? It sounds like your manager knows he has to be careful in what he says and does, and he expected you to take the role. Little does he know his staff, right?

I would ask the question are there other roles I can consider and apply for. They will have to show you. They will push for an answer, but you can say, I need to think about it. I feel pressured to make an on the stop decision on my career. They may take a step back,

Remember, redundancies are like any other tasks, they are working to a deadline.

Lets us know what happens.

I went to a free legal Centre and spoke to them, legal

daisychain01 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:24:05

I asked about the other role I applied for in January, I was told I have been short listed but the process is on going

I would push them to make a decision on that vacancy! They seem to be railroading you to accept a position just to suit their agenda. And stalling on the new job you are keen on.

You can argue you are in a formal consultation and you wish to propose it as your alternative.

GentleOnMyMind Fri 10-Feb-17 15:01:06

Thank you again for the advice, it has given me the confidence to hold out, I had wondered if I was being cheeky. I understand they need to fill the offered role quickly but it's not really my problem. Railroaded is exactly how I feel.

They did say we can't magic up a job for you we have to work with the vacancies we have, which is when I queried the applied for role. The recruitment process is excruciatingly slow in this company, it's over a month from the closing date and I only found out today I was short listed when I pushed them.

myfavouritecolourispurple Fri 10-Feb-17 15:30:35

Can you take the role on offer and hope you then get the other role you applied for? And if you don't, you can look for jobs externally?

GentleOnMyMind Thu 16-Feb-17 09:06:10

Update - my request for a redundancy package was turned down as the company continue to argue the new role is a suitable alternative. I was left with no choice but to start the new role or resign so I have started but this has confirmed for me this is not for me.

I have applied for lots of things already. I am going to a recruitment event next week. I'm not sure if there will be interviews on the day or not so I am wondering what should I wear? Should I go formal with a suit?

Also, sorry to ask a silly question but have been given good advice so far, some companies have asked for a copy of CV to be sent to them in the post, should I staple it together?

daisychain01 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:34:52

Always go prepared yes, suited and booted. You want to maximise any spur-of-the-moment interviews you can get.

Re hard copy CV, try to keep your CV to two sides of A4 maximum, plus a nicely written covering letter. As they want it in the post you may as well be traditional! Clip the letter to CV - so if the CV is 2 sheets staple them together and paper clip the accompanying letter to CV.

Good luck!

Horsemad Sat 18-Feb-17 10:05:53

Were you aware you can try your new role for 4 weeks before committing to it?

GentleOnMyMind Mon 20-Feb-17 14:34:28

Thanks for replying. I asked about that but was told I would not be entitled to a trial as their position would be the same at the end, this is the only other option available to me. Unless I choose to leave.

Horsemad Mon 20-Feb-17 19:26:38

I think you have been incorrectly advised there; when I was in a similar situation not too long ago, I was entitled to a 4 wk trial. Yes, it was the only alternative available but I was still entitled to it.
It gave me another 4 wks to look for another job whilst I did the trial.

Do you have their reply to your question in writing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now