Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Employing a soon to be 15 year old...

(45 Posts)
Whathastheworldcometo Thu 09-Feb-17 11:08:27

Hello looking for some advice.

I have received a CV for my shop that has not opened yet. It is a hair salon for men. A soon to be 15 year old has requested a job. It is a young lady. I don't feel comfortable with a young girl being with men on her own as we do not have any other female staff and I feel she is vulnerable to be with men only all day on a Saturday. She is a very sweet girl and this makes me feel she would be more vulnerable especially if a male customer was rude etc. Or a bit forth coming. I would not be there to supervise her. And whilst I trust my staff I feel like it would be irresponsible of me to employ her and I am just thinking about her welfare as she is still a child after all.

So my question is....is it illegal to not hire a 15 year old girl based on their age and gender? I want to be honest with her and have a lovely email ready to send just need to give a reason without shooting myself in the foot

LillyLollyLandy Thu 09-Feb-17 11:23:20

Bumping for you

Whathastheworldcometo Thu 09-Feb-17 11:26:00

Thanks. I could just say not enough experience. But I want to be honest about the reason. Without breaking the law! As the world is a crazy place right now. Don't want to be sued by the parents of a 15 year old when I just want to keep her safe!

LIZS Thu 09-Feb-17 11:26:08

If you would employ a 15 year old boy then yes.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Thu 09-Feb-17 11:30:24

Just say she is unsuccessful, you don't need to give a reason at all.

Freddorika Thu 09-Feb-17 11:30:54

If you can't trust your current staff to behave appropriately around a 15 year old girl then you've got more employment issues than how to word an email.

Whathastheworldcometo Thu 09-Feb-17 11:37:16

I said I do trust my staff. But what about customers.... geezer would you let your 15 year old daughter work with only men for 8 hours?

DianaMemorialJam Thu 09-Feb-17 11:40:14

If she is qualified to do the job then why wouldn't you?

If problems arise, (I'm guessing there will be a salon manager or something?) she could approach a more senior member of staff about it. I'm sure she would get to grips and become resilient very quickly.

Give her a shot if you like her! Job hunting is hard for kids these days.

Mermaidbutmytailfelloff Thu 09-Feb-17 11:51:33

until they are 15 they can only legally work for 5 hours on a Saturday so that may affect your decision.

Whathastheworldcometo Thu 09-Feb-17 11:55:19

Ok. Yeah I don't actually need the staff as I have enough. But she brought her CV in requesting. And it would be good to have an extra person. I just didn't feel comfortable with it that's all. I can't control how customers act if I am not there. And worried about her being approached by men. And any unwanted attention

Bobbybobbins Thu 09-Feb-17 12:04:48

I would just say unfortunately she hasn't been successful. Don't give a reason. I think if you employed her, it would be too much of a risk IMO.

DianaMemorialJam Thu 09-Feb-17 12:11:39

If you need an extra pair of hands then I think you should give her a chance.

being accosted or abused could happen in any customer facing jobs.

Penfold007 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:04:59

Pure sexual discrimination. Why not step out of your personal discomfort zone and give this enterprising young woman a job and see how it goes.

unfortunateevents Thu 09-Feb-17 13:15:53

Seriously, what kind of customers are you expecting in your salon if you think that you are the only person who could control their unsuitable behaviour? Even if someone does make an inappropriate comment or advance to her, do you not feel confident in your staff's ability to handle the situation? And what exactly do you think would happen in what is presumably one open, square room?

You either need another member of staff on Saturday or you don't. If you need one and you think she is suitable then go for it, bearing in mind the restrictions on employing a 14/15 year old. Otherwise tell her you are completely staffed but you will keep her in mind for the future.

daisychain01 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:16:45

Yeah I don't actually need the staff as I have enough

The young lady dropped her CV off to you on spec. You weren't advertising. You don't have a vacancy. So you aren't discriminating.

Cut yourself some slack, you don't need to tie yourself in knots, right? Say many thanks for your application, unfortunately we don't have any vacancies at the moment.

The amount of times I was told that at the age of 14-15! I'm sure she will find something suitable. At least she doesn't have a mortgage

FlyWaxSleepRepeat Thu 09-Feb-17 13:24:39

Surely it's going to be one big open room, like every other hair salon?

I really don't see the problem.

What kind of customers are you aiming your advertising to attract, if you think they'll be an issue? confused

wishparry Thu 09-Feb-17 13:30:47

I would give her a try if she seems keen.how about a 3 month probation period?
When I was 16 I was working in a male oriented job with just men,and a lot of men from other companies were always around too.
I can't see a problem with it myself.

Gooseygoosey12345 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:36:46

I'd give her a go and just tell her that if she has any issues she can speak to you or the manager. If she wants to get into that industry she'll have to work in that scenario at some point. Give her the chance knowing that you've got her back, rather than let her work for someone who, quite frankly, might not give a shit

flowery Thu 09-Feb-17 14:22:58

"You weren't advertising. You don't have a vacancy. So you aren't discriminating."

It is perfectly possible to discriminate unlawfully against candidates for jobs without having technically advertised a vacancy. The OP has been very honest here and admitted that the only reason he isn't giving this young person a chance, given he needs extra help, is because of her sex. That's unlawful discrimination.

However it is of course highly unlikely she'll find out or do anything about it, so OP you are probably quite safe in making up a bland reason for not giving her a chance.

Really disappointing. I hope her enterprising, proactive approach is rewarded elsewhere.

Floggingmolly Thu 09-Feb-17 14:27:49

Why are you contemplating giving this girl a job, if you already have enough staff and don't actually need anyone else? It's an odd thing to do. Would approaching you directly with a CV work for anybody, or just 15 year old girls?

Whathastheworldcometo Thu 09-Feb-17 14:29:31

I've advised we aren't looking for any staff at the moment. But I am flattered that she wanted to work for us. I wished her all the best for her future and gcses and said I was impressed with her CV. It was more her age. She hasn't even turned 15 yet and that seems a bit young to me. I don't know what the customers would be like obviously. How can I know....? I just don't want her to be uncomfortable and I don't want to be put in a legal situation especially as she is under 16. Imagine in 3 months time a customer groomed her and she went along with it and then my business got involved and police etc.... why would I risk a youth and also my business because I should be able to trust customers....? You can't trust anyone 100% in my opinion and I don't want that responsibility on my shoulders

Whathastheworldcometo Thu 09-Feb-17 14:30:31

Flogging. I wasn't contemplating. I wanted to turn her away without causing offence or trouble. Read my post.

Floggingmolly Thu 09-Feb-17 14:31:21

Such a surfeit of hand wringing... There are no positions available. You haven't turned her (this 14 year old hmm) down for a job, there is no job.

Whathastheworldcometo Thu 09-Feb-17 14:32:34

Wow sorry for being considerate and thinking about a young ladies safety. Good luck ladies. And when no one is looking out for you because you think you are capable of safe guarding your self and something happens that's on you. Everyone needs a bit of safety. The world is not as safe as it used to be. By the way I am a woman not a man.

Floggingmolly Thu 09-Feb-17 14:33:16

But why are you so flattered she wanted to work for you? She probably canvassed the whole street with CV's; and actually just wants some pocket money; not to be part of your empire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now