Talk

Advanced search

Is it me? Lost 2 people from same job

(6 Posts)
Angelik Wed 08-Feb-17 23:02:02

One after 1 day - said she had health matters she had to focus on. 'Ok' i thought that's bad luck. Wasn't then able to recruit for another 6 months. Got someone in eventually and got email this evening saying she isn't coming back cos her father has died overseas and she has to go home.

Paranoia has me thinking it must be me and how i induct people. Have recruited big team but they work for a range of people whereas this role has been created to relieve my workload.

So is it me or just shit luck?

daisychain01 Thu 09-Feb-17 04:48:06

It could be either. Difficult to say without more information.

My guess is, if you are positioning this role as just a soak-away for your excessive workload, it could come across that you're going to give them the dull boring stuff and keep the nice stuff for yourself

But that's just a guess based on the limited insights you have given.
Maybe you'll just have to use temporary cover for peak times and accept its hard to recruit someone permanently for that type of (admin?) work.

user1477282676 Thu 09-Feb-17 04:54:11

What sector?

mrsenasharples Thu 09-Feb-17 15:50:22

What do you want them to do?

If it's picking up your dross with no autonomy and specfic responsibilities it could be you.

Angelik Fri 10-Feb-17 21:05:36

Sorry for absence. Phone issues.

HR officer in public sector. Role created to do all HR related work so i don't have to.

Mrsena - how much autonomy would you expect in first week?

I tried to let them settle in with a few recruitment tasks but was sure to say that i am on hand for any questions at any point. On reflection, i think it may have to do with their line manager role and I subsequently found out someone had given them a hard time (a well known difficult person) and that she was struggling to balance work with childcare despite having flexible hours. She took her few personal belongings with her so planned not to come back.

I have reflected a lot as if it's me i have to do something about it. I will approach the next person's induction very differently.

On the upside my existing team and colleagues were all great and very reassuring. I got cake smile and carried out two probation meetings with new staff who said they were really happy and pleased with the support they received.

Zebraar Sun 12-Feb-17 21:15:54

What induction do/did you provide? And what tasks have been given in first days/weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now