Talk

Advanced search

Nannying and the life after..?

(15 Posts)
NannyJones Tue 07-Feb-17 10:46:20

Hi,

This is my first time posting (in years if not ever) so please be gentle..

I've been a nanny for 12 years now, and whilst I always thought this would be my lifelong career I'm struggling.

I'm well paid, but only part time. The job is ok but had a fair few of its complications..

Have any of you other nannies thought about your next career move and where you'd go? What am I even qualified/skilled for except looking after children..?

Is there a position that wouldn't mean a huge huge pay cut..?!

I'm just so stuck - I want to move on but I don't know where 😩

Tia x

sweetheart Tue 07-Feb-17 10:48:55

I have a friend who used to nanny, she is now a TA in a school which works well as she now has her own children. She says she would eventually like to do teacher training.

I'd imagine working in a playschool or nursery would also be a good step. Or perhaps you could nanny on a cruise ship or work as a holiday rep if you fancied travelling.

NannyJones Tue 07-Feb-17 10:51:47

Thanks,

A nursery or school would be a drop in hours and probably hourly rate too!!

Due to get married so galavanting around the world probs wouldn't go down well with my h2b 😂🙈

Deranger01 Tue 07-Feb-17 11:02:21

it is tricky isn't it because childcare things are generally not well paid. Is teacher training not an option? If maintaining your current income is paramount, you may need to think about non-childcare related options as nurseries and TAs don't earn great salaries unless you get into the management side of it. Related things would be people facing jobs I expect?

Deranger01 Tue 07-Feb-17 11:05:00

I think you have to upskill either way, either do management courses and try and go down the managing a nursery line (but you'll need to start with getting nursery experience), or do additional qualifications in something else - could be whatever you feel you'd be good at really - personal assistant, chef, customer services etc.

NannyJones Tue 07-Feb-17 11:07:43

Thank you

I have nursery experience but really can't stand them, they aren't an option for me.

I think you're right - anything, childbased or otherwise will need training unless I drop salary dramatically 😢

Ankleswingers Tue 07-Feb-17 11:31:50

If you can't stand Nurseries ( I understand why and I'm an ex Nursery Manager! ) then perhaps training is a good option.

I began my career many moons ago as a Nanny after gaining my NNEB Diploma in Nursery Nursing. The job of a Nanny in terms of job satisfaction ( imo) largely depends on the parents; there can be some really awful ones as well as those that are lovely.

I now train Nursery Nurses for a living but have worked my way up a long ladder and gained more qualifications along the way.

Perhaps a TA role would suit you, before/ after School club maybe?

Good luck smile

NannyJones Tue 07-Feb-17 11:41:03

Yes, nurseries aren't enjoyable to work in.

You're right with the job satisfaction thing, it's less the parents and more the entire job. I feel like I'm at the end of the line and there's no progression. There's no "nanny manager" or "area nanny" so really there's no where left for me to go, I'm at the top end of the pay scale (unless I get a ludicrous job in 5 countries with 3 nannies..) and I'm bored!

I keep looking into teaching but it's 4 years full time training and with a mortgage, I can afford to not work for 4 years..

I've often thought of my own coffee shop/cafe but as more and more chains pop up I wonder whether little old me and my chocolate fudge cake can make it in the big bad world 😂🙈

letthirstydogslie Tue 07-Feb-17 11:46:43

I went into schools as a qualified nursery nurse in reception so not a massive pay drop.

NannyJones Tue 07-Feb-17 11:47:43

I earn £12.50gph and work a 50 hour week when I'm full time.. 🙈

Deranger01 Tue 07-Feb-17 12:19:23

that's a good whack - you wouldn't clear this sort of money as a junior teacher either.

drinkyourmilk Tue 07-Feb-17 12:27:30

I nannied for 20 years. I was so miserable at the end (wrt employers - and I was extremely flexible ) that I just needed a complete change.
I worked out what my transferable skills were and ended up working for a local charity supporting unpaid carers. waves to everyone who now immediately recognises me. I love it. I feel I do an important job, I'm challenged each day, and I have colleagues and management to fall back on when needed. My hourly rate didn't really change, but my hours were halved- so yes I have far less I'm come. It's worth it though.

NannyJones Tue 07-Feb-17 12:34:46

Ooooh, looking into charities 👏🏻

sweetheart Tue 07-Feb-17 14:07:32

Would something like being a midwife or nursing be a suitable side step for you?

NannyJones Tue 07-Feb-17 14:13:23

If I didn't hate needles, blood and grossness.. probably. Don't know how I've managed with nappies and vomit for so long 🤦🏻‍♀️

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now