Talk

Advanced search

New job vs Old Job Dilemma

(15 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Sun 05-Feb-17 12:06:11

I have been offered a new job after a few awful interviews, I know I should be happy, but I am worried about making the wrong move and have been desperately unhappy in my job for a role.
I do have a habit of talking myself out of things, due to confidence and other issues. Here is my list of pro/cons for both jobs:

Current Job
School hours (can do drop off & pick up)
Reasonably well paid
No management support
No development
No support day to day
Relatively local to where I live, although parking can be a problem

New Job
New role
Was advertised as F/T agreed to part time hrs (min 30 hr pw)
£1660 per year less salary wise
Supportive/friendly team
Job has potential to make a difference/feel good factor
Keen to develop role/post holder where/if required
Relatively local to where I live, no parking options (would need to get bus/train)
May need to juggle school run/pick ups

I have previously interviewed for a couple of job where I work now (different depts) which felt so disastrous, for this new role I apparently aced both the interview & tests.

I am worried about upsetting things at home, as my OH works nights and my youngest DD will start secondary school this year, but I don't want her to feel rushed into getting herself to school. I know I am putting everyone else's needs before mine.

Can you offer any pearls of wisdom/reality check on this please..?

grumpysquash3 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:15:08

If you are desperately unhappy where you are, why not move on to a new opportunity?

Is getting DD to school a really big deal (presumably she's year 6)? Will she be getting herself to school from September? Does your OH get back from night shift in time to drop her at school if need be?

The only thing I would query, is whether the new job is less money even though you would be working more hours, or does it balance out? Is it possible to negotiate on salary?

OlennasWimple Sun 05-Feb-17 12:25:49

Don't assume that the new job will have a friendly team

How much will your travel costs change?

Lack of management support in the current job would be a biggie for me - you aren't going to develop without this, and you aren't going to have proper support.

I would go for the new job - congratulations and good luck!

Astro55 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:29:08

You may take a hit now pay wise - but if the hours suit - and more are available later - and career development - it has to be the better choice

esiotrot2015 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:32:32

I'd go for the new job
It's horrid feeling miserable and trapped in a job you don't like

Dd will get used to the new regime

esiotrot2015 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:33:04

It's scary to do something new but it'll be good for you

SecondsLeft Sun 05-Feb-17 12:46:08

I considered taking on more hours in a different job just before dd2 started secondary. In the end I am glad I didn't. She is not quite ready to be coming home alone when dd1 is out. In the winter months they need picking up in the cold and dark after the odd after school club or team event - difficult to juggle this if you are on public transport. In your shoes I would just take some time to really think through the practicalities first, including where your OH can be flexible and available, and then balance these with what is right for you. And well done on getting the job.

daisychain01 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:00:57

New job: the intangibles on your list are not certain enough for my liking (anything that says "potential" "could" "might", you have to cancel out, they may never happen)

The important tangibles like salary and parking are less advantageous in the new job. So you're effectively giving stuff up, but not getting any certainty that things would improve.

I'd stay put and keep looking for something that's really worth moving for, rather than disrupting the status quo, given your concerns about your DD

mammasmadhouse Mon 20-Feb-17 14:29:09

Dear All
I am still torn about the new role. I have spoken to a number of people who work with and for the team I will be working for in my new role and they have advised that they are all lovely etc and that I will fit in well. The salary is slightly lower despite me doing an additional 2.5 hrs a week as it is a completely different sector, still no joy with the parking side of things, so options are train or bus. Train station is around 10 minutes walk from where I live/DD's school and the journey is potentially 12 minutes. New boss is happy to be flexible, although may need to get OH to do a couple of school run pick-ups. So why do I still feel so torn, is it just the normal new job nerves or is it because its the wrong move...?
To top it all one of the people I work with at the moment has a vacancy coming up, a grade higher and 5 less hours a week, and has asked if I can be tempted. Don't get my wrong he can be a bit of an arse at times but it is tempting...although this would I understand be more run of the mill admin stuff, the new role I have already offered is more about making a difference although not front-line stuff. Any advice would be appreciated as I a going round in circles and over-thinking everything!!

mammasmadhouse Mon 20-Feb-17 18:36:07

Has anyone got any advice to offer or had experience of similar situations ?

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 20-Feb-17 18:39:43

If you've not been happy for a while and this role has some plusses. . then go for it. Secondary school is so different to primary. Your DD will be fine. Perhaps he could be around for her first few weeks...

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 20-Feb-17 18:40:06

He. .. meaning your DH.

itsmeitskathee Mon 20-Feb-17 18:45:43

You could well be me. I've been miserable in a job that fits comfortably around my family for the last couple of years. I've decided to take the new job which I think will make me happier in the long run. It's more hours and I feel nervous about the impact on the kids but my DH is delighted - I hadn't realised the impact of my being miserable and dreading going to work. And for me it's more money so I'm promising myself I will save some money for the kids.

daisychain01 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:45:31

Have you accepted the job offer yet? When do you/ did you start? It's a bit difficult to advise you as I'm not sure if this second job is another alternative or if you've already started iyswim smile

mammasmadhouse Mon 20-Feb-17 20:14:51

Hi Daisychain01, the offer is still conditional at the moment, as waiting on checks, no start date set as yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now