Talk

Advanced search

To tell work to bye bye!

(13 Posts)
ShootingQuadrantids Sat 04-Feb-17 21:19:06

Firstly, posting here for traffic but as always I really appreciate the advice that you lovely MNers have to give. I don't really want to out myself too much, although that's never stopped me before but here goes! Despite a couple of difficult years, last year I completed a Masters level 7 equivalent qualification. This filled a big need at work that had previously been undertaken by my line manager, the Senco, to carry out Exam Access Arrangements for students requiring extra time in exams. The new Senco didn't have this qualification by the way. For context my background is in mental health and I was a very qualified RMN. Fast forward a few years IVF and lots of stress, being diagnosed with RA I decided to give up work, get well and look after my much wanted DS. When I returned to work as a Learning Mentor I quickly used my transferable skills to prove my worth. Here's the thing I'm now doing a role that had previously been done by a higher grade, better paid teachers, but I'm being paid practically half the money for doing the same thing! The old Headmaster and bursar objected to my questioning this. Now do I brooch this with the new HM and B and explain my situation. In addition they're paying me two hours short a week for that role and paying me at my LM role rate. Do I leave, husband says yes, and leave the school and students in the lurch. Resign and go back freelance or stick it out with huge resentment? I work in the independent sector so we have quite a few teachers who do not have QTS. I love the assessing but since my DM died I seem to have grown a pair after years of being a yes person. Advice really, really appreciated x

ShootingQuadrantids Sat 04-Feb-17 21:28:24

Bump!

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Sat 04-Feb-17 21:41:17

Resentment will suck the joy out of your job and the head and bursar will never pay what the job is worth if you don't at least try to broach it with them. If they refuse to budge then stuff them. They are relying on a yes person in order to pay much less than the job is worth and you know it.

ShootingQuadrantids Sat 04-Feb-17 21:45:03

Thanks Dolores I've asked for the thread to be moved to employment issues. I really appreciate your reply x

GrannyGoggles Sat 04-Feb-17 21:51:02

Dolores is right. She, you and I know this

ShootingQuadrantids Sat 04-Feb-17 22:00:01

Thanks Granny yes I know. It's just that I do love the assessing element of my job and IMO I'm very good at it what with having a mental health background. It's just that the pay is less than expected and it was initially implied that once I qualified I would be rewarded financially!

SquinkiesRule Sat 04-Feb-17 22:13:34

I'd bring it up with the new head first and be prepared to walk.

ImperialBlether Sat 04-Feb-17 22:16:47

If you left, would they have to pay someone a lot more money to do that job?

ShootingQuadrantids Sat 04-Feb-17 22:28:34

Yes they would Imperial while I was studying they were paying an external assessor, as the new Senco wasn't qualified to carry them out, 4x what they pay me. Furthermore new JCQ legislation states that all assessors should be level 7 as opposed to level 5, which most are. I just feel walked all over. I'm in my 50's so no spring chicken but with a good head on my shoulders if that doesn't sound too boastful?!

tiredofhavingtothinkofnewnames Sat 04-Feb-17 22:41:27

I know that you are in the independent sector.

But for reference in the state sectors you have to be a qualified teacher to be a Senco and so a learning mentor would not be doing the same job unless they were also QTS. In a state school a learning mentor would earn about 40% -50 % less than a teacher who was Senco.

ShootingQuadrantids Sat 04-Feb-17 22:55:25

Sorry should have clarified tired I was admitted on to the CPT3A because of my MH background where I did some teaching and assessing. The CPT3A was hard work but very well within my capabilities. Also I was acting HoD while they appointed a new Senco. I've been in education for 13years and I'm well qualified. Incidentally one of our DHeads doesn't have QTS but has transferable skills. The point is that while my job title is Learning Mentor i undertake some teaching, social emotional support for students and the EAA which I'm paid much less than the teaching and nearly the same as the LM role.

ShootingQuadrantids Sat 04-Feb-17 23:02:17

For reference tired I have outstanding line manager, peer and student feedback for my lessons and act as mentor to new teaching staff. Don't want to sound pedantic tired but just ensuring that pp don't think that I'm a glorified TA who thinks that she should be paid more!

daisychain01 Sun 05-Feb-17 02:47:47

it was initially implied that once I qualified I would be rewarded financially!

Never bank on anything "implied" ever seeing the light of day.

Always get things in writing, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

You have done a great selling job on here, you have lots to give the school, but you need to put together a 'business case' for why you should be paid more.

If the qualifications you possess aren't an exact match, then you will need to argue why they should put that to one side in favour of remunerating you more fairly and equitably than you are.

Any agreements, please get them in writing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now