Talk

Advanced search

"team restructure"

(5 Posts)
tempyuseynamey Fri 03-Feb-17 22:23:20

I am internally seconded for 18 months, til end of March and I'm hoping to be kept on as I really like it, its more money and a nicer team.

Indications have been that the work I'm doing needs to continue and the team / my manager talk about wanting me to stay.

However, it depends on what our budget will be for next year (government organisation so depends on government funding we get blah blah)

anyway the whole team have been called to a meeting to discuss plans for 17/18 which "will include team restructure".

I'm very worried this means "you're going bye bye" and don't really want to be told this in front of the rest of the team. Nor do I want to be kept on but in a different role as I've built up a lot of contacts, achieved some good things and I don't want to lose that.

Am I likely to be worrying unnecessarily? What does "team restructure" normally mean if it doesn't mean I'm going?

AlwaysTheWinner Fri 03-Feb-17 22:27:44

It could just as easily mean that they are restructuring so your role on the team becomes permanent, surely? Or maybe they are going to look at people's roles and responsibilities generally. Try not to worry! If the work needs done and your manager thinks you're doing a good job, you'll hopefully be fine.

BrownEyedLady Fri 03-Feb-17 22:30:30

It could mean several things - moving people around, splitting teams in two etc. Does your current manager usually manage change well? Does she consult you on things that impact your work? Dies she generally have good judgement, good people management skills? How she/the company handles change will be a good indicator of what to expect. If you have a good rapport with the manager, can you have a quiet word with her to ease your mind?

IMurderedStampyLongnose Fri 03-Feb-17 22:36:49

I would say it means just that-the team is restructuring.You will have no way of knowing how it will effect your role without your manager telling you.As you are on secondment you aren't secure which you well know,unfortunately I think you will just have to wait it out.I am a gov dept manager and would use "restructuring" to both actually reatructure for a more effective team dynamic,and as a useful mechanism to clear deadwood from the team.Sorry not helpful but you need to speak to your manager.

tempyuseynamey Fri 03-Feb-17 23:01:21

I have. he keeps saying he doesn't know. Its all to do with what the budget will be. Its his manager above him who is calling the meeting. I think the budget is going to be less than previous year but do hope the 'restructuring' includes making me permanent. An HR rep is going to be at the meeting too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now