Talk

Advanced search

I left my job yesterday, theyve asked me to stay, could I negotiate my hours?

(13 Posts)
OneWithTheForce Fri 03-Feb-17 19:19:42

I work in retail. Due to a A childcare issue and me realising my son needs me at home more than I realised and some issues with how my company is run I made the decision to leave and gave my notice yesterday. However my employer has today asked me to reconsider leaving and offered to give me a zero hours contract that would allow to me to turn work down when I'm not available. I was sceptical TBH, and said that I felt that might leave my manager in a tricky position if I say no to some work and she is then short staffed. She said they will be hiring another member of staff to replace me anyway so it wouldn't be an issue. I've told her I will think about it and now i am wondering if I should ask if I can do school hour shifts on a term time only basis. I have applied to register as a childminder so I can be at home fully for my son but that will take several months before I will be able to earn money. Original plan was to do cleaning work during school hours until I am registered but if my employer would agree to school hour shifts with school holidays off it would save any worry about trying to find cleaning work and being without an income.

Is it a reasonable proposal?

TortieandWhite Fri 03-Feb-17 23:22:36

Worth a try, what have you got to lose? smile

FlyWaxSleepRepeat Fri 03-Feb-17 23:26:26

Well you could ask, and they could say they agree to it, but as you'll be on a zero hours contract there's no guarantee that they'll stick to it.

OneWithTheForce Fri 03-Feb-17 23:35:31

Yes that's true, I have nothing to lose.
I think maybe thats what is niggling fly, that I accept and then end up with no income.

redexpat Sat 04-Feb-17 11:32:07

Well you could accept their zero hours offer, but continue to look for cleaning work. There are no guarantees either way.

flowery Sat 04-Feb-17 16:51:32

Zero hours and school hours term time only are not the same thing. Ask for the shifts you want. If they say yes, great, if they say zero hours or nothing accept that and look for other work as well.

Reality16 Sat 04-Feb-17 16:55:18

I would be very very wary of this. In theory you should be able to work when it suits you. The reality is though, you will be expected to work when it suits them. It's lovely that they have asked you to stay, but don't get carried away with the idea that it's because they like you so much, it's easier and practical to hang on to a staff member who knows the ropes.

LIZS Sat 04-Feb-17 16:58:13

Try it while you register, that way you keep continuity of employment in the meantime.

OneWithTheForce Sat 04-Feb-17 17:40:37

Oh yes flowery Good point. I think I'll refuse the zero hours, put this proposals to them but insist on it being a minimum hours in the contract otherwise I can't accept it.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 04-Feb-17 19:49:34

Being a child minder might not mean that you are more available for your son as the times you are home after school might be your busiest times and he might resent sharing his house and his mum with other children.

Lilaclily Sat 04-Feb-17 19:51:10

I would sign up to the zero hours contract and take shifts you're happy with while looking for something else

Lilaclily Sat 04-Feb-17 19:51:39

They often need lunch cover so might be offering you 9-2 or maybe weekends if you can do that

OneWithTheForce Sat 04-Feb-17 20:08:33

They do need lunch cover. They currently have a lunch cover person but have been unable to retain that person (it has been 5 different people in the last 14 months- originally I was it) the current person has also handed in their notice so I expect I would be taking on that role. It's usually an 11-2 shift or thereabouts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now