Talk

Advanced search

Pro rata salary

(6 Posts)
AlwaysaNortherner Wed 01-Feb-17 16:43:23

Just a quick one. I was looking at a job advert today and it says "at a pro-rata salary of £xx per annum". It's a 0.25 post. I'm confused as to whether the amount quoted is the pro rata salary, so what you would actually get paid, or the full salary e.g. I'd need to divide it by 4 to get the amount you'd be paid! Can anyone help me out?

(I'm a musician and the money's generally dreadful so while the amount divided by 4 would be pretty miniscule, maybe they do really mean that....)

TeaBelle Wed 01-Feb-17 16:45:28

Generally the advertised rate is the full time one

Blastandtroph Wed 01-Feb-17 16:45:51

In the terms stated in the advert, I would expect that's the salary you'd receive working 0.25 fte.

TheCustomaryMethod Wed 01-Feb-17 16:48:35

If it's described as pro-rata that usually means it's a percentage of the figure quoted - so you'd need to divide by four.

However, if that amount seems ridiculously small it's worth querying - the person advertising might have made a mistake. Would 1/4 of what's quoted still equate to minimum hourly wage or above?

AlwaysaNortherner Wed 01-Feb-17 16:57:33

Glad I'm not the only one confused by the way they've worded it!

Good point about the hours, I'll work it out.

TheCustomaryMethod Wed 01-Feb-17 17:01:45

If full time is 40 hours a week, it'd need to be at least £3744 per annum at .25 pro-rata (10 hrs per week) to be legal at 2016 rates, assuming the employee is over 25.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now