Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had any actual benefit from LinkedIn??

(43 Posts)
scaryclown Wed 01-Feb-17 09:43:43

I'm aaking because i've been diligently adjusting and readjusting my linkedin profile, have lots of people in my network and applied for jobs using my profile..and my profile is quite impressive but i have NEVER had a job pushed my way, had anyine said my profile is good, or had a response to the applications. No discussions i've entered into have led to conversations that might lead to jobs or even good tips, yet I and other people seem very keen on making sure they have a profile.

Is it just an excercise in career boasting?

Anyone had any actual bites, cintacts suggesting work etc??

daisychain01 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:39:05

I wouldn't rely on or expect to get any job offers via LinkedIn. If you do, then it's luck but by no means a 'dead-cert'.

It's another potential candidate pool for agencies who spend their life using search criteria to 'home in' on candidates who fit a role vacancy eg "project manager" or "sales executive" and try to entice candidate to contact them regarding a current vacancy. It's hit and miss whether they find you though, you need to be proactive.

LinkedIn can be an additional enhancer to your CV, because you can bet your bottom dollar if a company is interested in interviewing you, they will check social media to see if they can get real-world insights into who the candidate is when they aren't at work.

LinkedIn is a controlled Shop Window, if you choose to use it effectively, and increases the chance of getting onto an employer's radar. It's definitely worth the effort keeping it smart at all times, as you never know when someone may be looking at you smile

daisychain01 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:42:13

Forgot to mention, LinkedIn is great for real world insights if you can ask your work colleagues to endorse your skills or post a recommendation about a project you've worked on together.

It's akin to an electronic reference. It won't replace references you need to give a future employer, but it's almost as good because you can get 4 or 5 people to give byte-size comments about y ou, which I think is even better because it's in context of real projects and activities.

WeAllHaveWings Wed 01-Feb-17 12:28:03

I get requests to join my network from agencies quite a lot, but ignore them.

When the company I worked for shut down 5 years ago there were >350 of us all joining linked in at the same time so we all added anyone we knew from the company to our networks. As we have all become employed elsewhere we've got a good little network of companies going now. I've had a couple of people who are going to be interviewed at my current workplace contacting me to ask what its like and for interview tips (I send them our values statement and a couple of other employee bits) and they have found it helpful.

I've also had someone asking if I know of anyone from our old company with X and Y skill set who might be looking for a role still.

I don't think you can rely on it to get a job, but there are occasions it can be helpful once you have a bigger network.

Toomanycats99 Wed 01-Feb-17 12:39:48

I have had several agencies contact me about roles through it. It looking to move at the moment so never followed up.

AgentProvocateur Wed 01-Feb-17 12:42:21

Yes, I've got my last two roles through LinkedIn and have been approached about several more.

Bobochic Wed 01-Feb-17 12:43:40

LinkedIn is an amazing networking tool for people who need introductions within an extended professional circle of which they are already part.

unfortunateevents Wed 01-Feb-17 14:05:41

DH got a £150k job via LinkedIn and been approached a few times through it.

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Wed 01-Feb-17 14:08:07

I have - but I'm not looking for a new job as such, it's that people find what I do and then contact me about it (I'm a ghostwriter, so people often search for a pile of those and then contact us all at once about their book idea!).

It's like another MN for me - I spend ages looking at other people's interesting jobs grin . . .

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:09:53

I've been offered roles through it. It serves as a check up too, a sort of unofficial reference. Been checked up on by a few recruiters. It is a way to make a longer, fancier CV too. I can put all my publications on it, which I wouldn't do on a CV.

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:10:49

I've been offered roles through it. It serves as a check up too, a sort of unofficial reference. Been checked up on by a few recruiters. It is a way to make a longer, fancier CV too. I can put all my publications on it, which I wouldn't do on a CV.

HerRoyalNotness Wed 01-Feb-17 14:15:05

I've had recruiters approach me through it and lately have had some call, the only way they could have my number is through linked in. I also use it to keep in touch with ex colleagues that I don't want/have on Facebook. Good way to check if they have work or ask professionally related questions, such as pp about what a company is like to work for.

I did apply for a job at a company and then noticed one of my old managers worked for them so emailed him for the lowdown. Turns out it was a fishing exercise and he'd let me know when a real job became available

Otherpeoplesteens Wed 01-Feb-17 17:02:32

I have had a couple of wildly inappropriate approaches from recruiters on LinkedIn, but sadly nothing which has translated into a job yet. That said, in the last week I have applied for one advertised on LinkedIn by a guy who is in my network from a previous job of his, so you never know.

I find the biggest problem is recruiters using it to get at my professional network to try and sell them candidates, and I've had the same thing happen to me when I was in management roles and recruiting staff. So, I'd never put my phone number on there, and my privacy settings only show mutual (shared) contacts.

scaryclown Wed 01-Feb-17 18:03:10

So some lukewarn stuff mostly, is tgat fair?

The problem i have with it is that tgere are real 'puffers' on some of my comtacts who talk all manner of exaggerated 'endorsememts' to each other.. but because i know for certain some seeming constant progressiions with loads of positive endorsememts are by people who are not very good, i just can't work out how to play the game..puff up to join in, or be serious..and possibly overlooked?

It seems to me the game is 'say you've done stuff you havent, get others to ratify it, then puff up their achievements.. and i feel a bit uncomfortable with that. The problem i have is that in the jobs where i've had the biggest and most dramatic results i was somewhat resented for it by the puffers (sales where i doubled my colleagues results, and recruitmemt where i did about four times what was expected) so i find it difficult to het endorsements for what i'm actually good at, and instead get them for skills i have at a low level but dont want to focus on.

I think i weaken my game by trying to be honest (and by forgetting its not about what job you can do but about what job you can get by what you say) but even so i at best only get info about others doing well..not me, so i'm eondering if its actually damaging rather than helpful iyswim.?

of those who got offers etc, are your career types very prescriptive? My strength is pretty much high delivery in anything..but not 'safe hands' long term stuff. Is it better for long stay careers? I find the job market it general very odd at the momemt, but i just see a lot of work and hope with very little outcome.

grumpysquash3 Wed 01-Feb-17 20:22:55

I had a really good job offer via linkedin last year. I didn't take it in the end, but instead negotiated an internal promotion.
I am in science/biotech which is a very dynamic sector.
One thing that can help is to list your achievements in roles rather than just what you did. Just a few words to summarise. But don't over claim, I'm not sure that works well in the long run....
Good luck smile

poochiepants Wed 01-Feb-17 22:12:09

At the end of the day, you don't really know how LinkedIn is working for those "puffers" - it might be all a load of hot air for their own egos!

LinkedIn is primarily about networking and getting more info on what's going on in your industry, so forget about trying to connect to the people that you know in real life (unless they might be genuinely useful) and spread your virtual wings wide, connect to people you don't know much more often, people who might be of use in a variety of ways, make sure you interact and also give out comments and thoughts that others can react to also. It does take time, but it's not really an online CV tool....

I don't use it to get work, but I do use to plan my career by watching what others are doing....

But my DP does get work - he's in the film industry so recruiters he's never heard of often get in touch to see when he'll be free as they all work on short contracts all the time, so it's a useful resource for the hr people who have to put together experienced teams quickly. And he does absolutely nothing more than update the studios and films he's worked with. Different things for different industries....

OllyBJolly Thu 02-Feb-17 09:00:22

I've had offers and recruited via LinkedIn. I advertised an MD role last year for a client. I got a huge response - most of which was entirely irrelevant. Interviewed five and one was offered. Another one of the five I introduced to another client.

I wouldn't engage with agencies via linked in. They have their place but I see linked in as more of a direct tool.

bigkidsdidit Thu 02-Feb-17 09:49:50

It's very very industry-specific. Almost no one in my field does much on it at all - but DH uses it a lot and has had job offers as a result.

languagelearner Thu 02-Feb-17 16:58:15

I found it useful once I started to follow some 100 companies in "my field" and "great thinkers" (as it is called). These people and companies post interesting information now and then (there's always someone among the ~100 who post something). Before I did this, I couldn't figure out what LinkedIn could do for me. Never been contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn, or, rather, I was but these job offers were totally off the chart. I know that hiring bosses like to do a search on LinkedIn for the people they're interested in, and that is something one can never see nor notice directly.

Astoria7974 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:18:26

I have received proper interviews through Linkedin for positions not advertised anywhere else. People contact me based on my public information - but I work in banking in a complex, cross-industry field & have many years of experience. Linkedin only really works if you have a large professional contact base - thats the only way recruiters can find you

Ebayaholic Fri 03-Feb-17 18:22:25

Have you switched on the button which shows you are seeking opportunities?

languagelearner Fri 03-Feb-17 18:23:40

Button? Well, I'm not looking now, anyway...

Poppiesway Fri 03-Feb-17 18:30:36

I was approached and offered a job which I did accept. But travel was too far for me to continue.
I've also have had 4 very inappropriate messages from men over the past few years.. who I knew from school / mutual friends (many many years ago)

tempyuseynamey Fri 03-Feb-17 22:43:42

I'm active on Linkedin and do all the right things but have never had a job offer or found any job of interest.

So how does one get noticed by recruiters?

practicallyperfectinmyway Fri 03-Feb-17 22:50:09

One point about LinkedIn (which I really don't update or use effectively), is that you can get to see who's viewed your profile. In my case, my ex!

It then (other than any ex-es) can let you see who's looking at you (agencies or otherwise?).

I see LinkedIn as a FB for work and I keep my profiles totally separate,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now