Talk

Advanced search

Sickness, warnings what happens next?

(6 Posts)
ElleyBear13 Wed 01-Feb-17 06:59:26

Hello all! I returned to work last may after mat leave and unfortunately my general wellbeing hasn't been great and I've picked up every bug my dc had had so I had two days off for tonsillitis, one for a d&v virus and another for stomach flu - I've reached my limit on sickness (3 absences a year) and was told the next time I'm ill I'll have to have an interview and will recieve a warning which could lead to possible dismissal. I've worked for the company for over six years and only took a week off prior to this at our last informal chat I was told to take vitamins to help my immunity which I have been doing so I just can't seem too get well - my dc has hand foot and mouth ATM which I've also come up in I'm due in work tomorrow I cant work from home as I work for the NHS healthcare working with sick and vulnerable patients but really unsure what to do! I haven't mentioned to work that I have pnd/gad which when I'm having a bad week seems to coincide with myself becoming unwell! I don't know whether to mention this to my manager or not or whether this would just look like an excuse! I've never had any illnesses before so it's all new to me any help would be greatly appreciated x

daisychain01 Wed 01-Feb-17 12:02:20

Your employer has taken all the necessary process steps with the informal meeting, the clear message that any more sickness will be taken more seriously etc.

Sorry to sound harsh, but when it gets to the point where your attendance record reads badly, your employers has no option but to move things on formally. Small durations of 1-2 days self-certified sickness will always look bad, versus 10 days off due to full-blown flu with medical certificate for example.

Your manager may be somewhat empathetic to you stating PND but in honesty I expect they may run out of patience soon.

I think before you have your meeting, maybe worth thinking about how you can increase their confidence that you will improve your attendance record. In reality that is what they will care about. Again, sorry to sound harsh, just trying to be realistic to help you prepare your best response.

thepetitpear Wed 01-Feb-17 12:17:52

It's a standard process and whilst it could lead to dismissal, there are other steps that are taken first such as frequent reviews of your sickness over a certain time period and an attendance plan. I think they're likely to expect you to have 100% attendance now up until the point your first sickness in the last 12 months hits a year old.

It's hard with young kids. I worked for my last employer for over 11 years and had never had a day off sick until my last 12 months with the company from catching a sickness bug from the children.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 01-Feb-17 12:32:03

Will they let you use leave? Is not ideal, but I use mine for migraines or I'd have 1 day absences dotted all over the show.

ImNotAFlower Wed 01-Feb-17 12:32:17

NHS- first formal warning will will be a meeting with your manager.
They will discuss the absences and then make a plan going forward for the next 3-6 months and set how much sickness is acceptable in this time frame.
Don't worry too much they are usually fairly informal and you are not the first and certainly won't be the last.
I do though think that you need to be honest with your manager. They are in a good place to support you with the pnd and can refer you to Occupational Health for further advice/support.
Grasp this opportunity to get any help out there and take care of you.

ImNotAFlower Wed 01-Feb-17 12:34:07

Also you are untitled to take a union Rep/ other person to the meeting for support if that would make you feel more comfortable.
They may have someone from HR present but probably not for 1st warning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now