Talk

Advanced search

Requesting time off for an interview and request for references at interview

(11 Posts)
Bananajam Tue 31-Jan-17 21:42:24

I've applied for two different admin roles at our local hospital, I currently work in a GP practice. I've been offered an interview next week and will need to request an hour off - it's over lunchtime so I can make up a reason and have time owing but the trust request references on confirmation of interview and I'm concerned that my current employer will refuse any leave requests if they get a reference request. I didn't realise when I applied and put my manager and one of the GPs as referees.

I don't think it will be a surprise to them that I'm looking elsewhere but how do I handle it? Help!

WipsGlitter Tue 31-Jan-17 21:46:16

Can you book a days annual leave asap?

Bananajam Tue 31-Jan-17 21:49:39

Im going to request the time off when I go in tomorrow but wanted to know if they can refuse if they think I'm going for the interview? I've never moved from one job to another before because I was made redundant last time and before that had temp contracts.

SarahOoo Tue 31-Jan-17 22:55:29

Ask them only to approach references for previous employers and not your current employer....it's a little silly to get a reference from a current employer - that just makes it awkward should you not get the job! Personally I wouldn't go to an interview if they insisted on that and my field of expertise is HR!

Bananajam Wed 01-Feb-17 07:33:30

Last time I declined the interview and decided to stay put but this time I am less worried about them getting the request. It will either shake things up where I am or I'll be handing my notice in anyway. Having slept on it I'm going to let it ride and see what happens!

Otherpeoplesteens Wed 01-Feb-17 17:07:14

It makes a difference if you're an NHS employee at your current place of work.

With the proviso that I've never seen it stated anywhere, only that I've been told by numerous long-serving NHS staff, it is my understanding that the Whitley Council rules permit NHS staff to attend interviews for other NHS positions within their work time - i.e. they do not have to take time off. I believe that is why the NHS often expect to be able to take up references before your interview - it doesn't occur to them that this is sometimes a bit awkward, or that people from outside might actually want a job there.

Bananajam Wed 01-Feb-17 17:29:28

Yes, it's definitely an NHS trait, I've never seen it elsewhere. I don't think my boss has had a request yet but I'm waiting to be called in to explain why I might not want to stay in the same job forever, especially with no chance of an increase in pay or upwards movement! Self explanatory really..

Sidge Wed 01-Feb-17 17:46:02

Even if they ask you to provide references prior to interview, I think it would be very unlikely they would contact them unless they offer you the post. It's the job offer that is dependent on references, not the interview!

My DP is an NHS manager and whilst the NHS application process asks for references on application, he doesn't contact them until he has interviewed and decided who will be selected.

Bananajam Thu 02-Feb-17 07:10:21

Thanks Sidge - here's hoping!

MargotsDevil Thu 02-Feb-17 07:19:45

Try working in education. In certain local authorities in Scotland you have to submit "open references" (i.e. You get to see them) with your application - and your application won't be considered without. Others often ask for references before interviews. Maybe it's a public sector thing rather than just NHS. And yes, it's awkward.

Bananajam Thu 02-Feb-17 17:52:26

I've heard that before MargotsDevil - a friend of mine is a teacher and managed to to negotiate a decent raise in her current post after applying for another role elsewhere because her boss was asked for references before interview. I work for the tightest bunch you can imagine who complain regularly that we're overpaid hmm no chance of a raise here and probably they'll be delighted as I am part of a group of staff on a higher pay scale - all new employees now are taken on minimum wage. Knowledge and experience isn't valued here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now